General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

warmest non-electric gloves?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 12:20 PM
rideflhr
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default warmest non-electric gloves?

I need new gloves and of course its not an easy purchase. I called Leatherup and asked to speak with a human that had some product knowledge.After telling me to buy snowmobile gloves she hung up on me. I checked the HD site and they had so many winter gauntlet gloves that It was confusing. I want the warmest ones. I saw some Tourmaster Elite ll MT that look good. Anyone familiar with these.
I checked a couple shops around here and all they had was cheap junk.
Revzilla had a lot of gloves but who knows what to buy? Help pls.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:26 PM
jkelley
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Truthfully, most gloves suck, while some are better then others if they are thick enough to do the job then I have found them to be cumbersome and more trouble than they are worth. IN the end on a long ride you will find any glove will lose the ability to keep you warm in all conditions. The best money I have spent in a long time is on electric gear and while I know you asked for a non electric solution the best answer I have found has been exactly that.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:27 PM
300Slim
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Boxing.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:36 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

My elk skin welding gloves are the warmest thing ive found!

Old 10-16-2013, 12:44 PM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

With non-electric, there is no getting around that the warmer they are, the bulkier they're going to be.

The warmest gloves I own are gloves I got for snow skiing years ago. Thinsulate and Gortex, they kept my hands warm in dry while skiing in 5 degree weather.

I have worn them while riding, but they're just a little too bulky for me.

I wear H-D leather gauntlets, waterproof, in the winter. Wear silk or metallic-type glover liners when it's really cold (below 30).

Not many care for it (too non-biker I think), but the best thing I did for cold weather riding was put clear windshields in front of the grips on my Fatboy. Made a huge difference, and I personally don't think they look bad at all.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:46 PM
exemexer
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My opinion after my extensive experience (riding year-round 5 yrs in Texas), Any good quality lined leather glove is going to keep your fingertips from going numb for about 30 to 45 minutes in temps between say 55 down to mid-to-low 40's. That's with no wind protection for your hands what-so-ever. With a fairing or grip guards I'm sure the quality doesn't have to be as good and the time obviously is longer.
Riding to work in the morning when it's in the mid 30's to low 40's I'm wearing good quality insulated ski gloves and I have no wind deflection at all - knuckles in the wind. By the time I get to work (30 minutes) my finger tips are starting to go numb. There's no way around this 30 min max (I'm guessing) without electricity (either the gloves or the grips) and/or with a fairing or grip guards.
Leather keeps the wind out better than anything else I've tried but ski gloves usually are not leather although they are thicker and consist of multiple insulating layers of one kind or another that almost make up for it.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:56 PM
David the Gnome
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a pair of these Alpinestars Apex Drystar gloves in solid black:

http://www.alpinestars.com/apex-drys...l#.Ul7SZZSG00g

They are pretty warm for non-electric but after an hour of highway driving my hands start to get cold regardless. These are about the maximum in terms of bulkiness that I'm willing to put up with. Anything thicker than these and I start fumbling at the controls. I haven't found anything better for the money, especially when you consider these also include armor for your knuckles and fingers.

If I intended to do any kind of long distance riding in the winter I would 100% be going electric at this point.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:14 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

I have a variety of gloves for different temps and purposes.
I also install a fairing on my 'King for the Winter that is a big help.
I have several pair of thin Gortex Lined Leather Driving Gloves (JCP on sale) that are my favorite. I don't like thick bulky gloves when I ride, but when it's cold, that's another story. I keep 2 pairs of these in the bag with 2 pairs of clear safety glasses inside them (no scratch).
I have a pair of Carhardt Leather Lineman Gloves that are much warmer, but they are a bit on the bulky side. And I have a pair of Snowmobile Gloves, not leather, but if I have to, I will wear them.
Gerbings gloves and jacket liners are probably in our future, like you, I am resisting that move right now...

Old 10-16-2013, 01:16 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Ski gloves work very well, they have great dexterity and tons to select from. I got some snow machine gloves but haven't tried them. Check out eBay seller roseburg.c.c

Coldwave polar cap cold weather gloves
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Coldwave...item5aea907639

Old 10-16-2013, 01:22 PM
exemexer
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My opinion after my extensive experience (riding year-round 5 yrs in Texas), Any good quality lined leather glove is going to keep your fingertips from going numb for about 30 to 45 minutes in temps between say 55 down to mid-to-low 40's. That's with no wind protection for your hands what-so-ever. With a fairing or grip guards I'm sure the quality doesn't have to be as good and the time obviously is longer.
Riding to work in the morning when it's in the mid 30's to low 40's I'm wearing good quality insulated ski gloves and I have no wind deflection at all - knuckles in the wind. By the time I get to work (30 minutes) my finger tips are starting to go numb. There's no way around this 30 min max (I'm guessing) without electricity (either the gloves or the grips) and/or with a fairing or grip guards.
Leather keeps the wind out better than anything else I've tried but ski gloves usually are not leather although they are thicker and consist of multiple insulating layers of one kind or another that almost make up for it.

Quick Reply: warmest non-electric gloves?