General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your annual watch for deer thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 02:52 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Your annual watch for deer thread

That time of year again. Late last night I was leaving the last housing development on my way home doing about 35-40mph. And didn't see one until she was in the lane next to me running across. Since she was 5 feet from me or less when I saw her I knew we were destined for greatness.

The deer ran right into the side of the bike damaging the Front running light, breaking the turn signal lense, damaging the front fender, and causing the horn to shift.

Ever since I've been getting "Lo RNG" on the speedo, even with a lot of tank left, along with the red dot light being on. Seriously bought the thing less then 3 weeks ago, and boom

Old 10-16-2013, 03:04 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Deer crossing signs always get my attention.

A couple of weeks ago, we were in west Texas and we saw a doe and her baby. She was going nuts because my pipes were scaring her and she was trying to find a way to get away from me. She was near a fence and I was hoping she wouldn't jump in front of me. Luckily, she didn't.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:13 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member

Yeah normally I will see there eyes glaring in the lights but this one I assume was in some brush and I didn't even see it.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:46 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,740 Likes on 6,191 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Trouble is...they never cross by the signs. Stupid deer. Can't they read?

Old 10-16-2013, 04:02 PM
cruzomatic
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by RHPAW
Trouble is...they never cross by the signs. Stupid deer. Can't they read?
LOLOL....yea was thinking the same thing. There are deer everywhere where I live. I'm always on the lookout, but just sometimes they jump out from hole in the ground and run out in front of ya.

Be safe out there.....hunting season is right around the corner thinning the herd some.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:17 PM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
They don't mean Jack to a deer. I've had 3 does with fawns charge me this year.Yeah,I said charge,as in jump a fence and run right at me. One bull moose who also thought about it,but backed off when I hit the kill switch. There is no "time of year" for deer,or any other wild animal. It's heads up 24/7 for a rider. And loud pipes **** some off,more than frighten them.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:29 PM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thinking about a set of deer-whistles.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:37 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete6114
Thinking about a set of deer-whistles.
Just be sure and put them in the correct way. If you turn them backwards the deer will chase you.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:42 PM
mountain man
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Superfly3176
That time of year again. Late last night I was leaving the last housing development on my way home doing about 35-40mph. And didn't see one until she was in the lane next to me running across. Since she was 5 feet from me or less when I saw her I knew we were destined for greatness.

The deer ran right into the side of the bike damaging the Front running light, breaking the turn signal lense, damaging the front fender, and causing the horn to shift.

Ever since I've been getting "Lo RNG" on the speedo, even with a lot of tank left, along with the red dot light being on. Seriously bought the thing less then 3 weeks ago, and boom
Don't feel bad,we were a mile from home riding through state forest 2 weeks ago. Out of the corner of my eye,about 75 yds in front I caught one standin along the road on the left. Slowed down to about 25 or 30,about that time it decided to come across,bam,right into the side of us!! Thought for sure something on the bike was boogered. No damage at all! Its funny,i could see the small antlers(small fork horn) right beside me and they hit me on my left elbow,somethin on my knee,fiancees knee. Stopped to check everything,had hair wedged in saddlebag latch n wedged in the plastic moulding on tour pac.Almost the exact same thing 5 years ago(except by myself) Worst thing out of this,it scared the p#@s out of her and she had to go (in the woods). Somehow she lost her cell phone!! LOL

Old 10-16-2013, 04:58 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Twistnride
They don't mean Jack to a deer. I've had 3 does with fawns charge me this year.Yeah,I said charge,as in jump a fence and run right at me. One bull moose who also thought about it,but backed off when I hit the kill switch. There is no "time of year" for deer,or any other wild animal. It's heads up 24/7 for a rider. And loud pipes **** some off,more than frighten them.
Not saying that you can't see other them other times, I often do but deer are in rut in the northeast right now. They move much more often now that it's mating season. So there is a time of the year for deer.

Quick Reply: Your annual watch for deer thread