General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

winters coming...heated Liners or overcoat/pants

Old 10-16-2013, 06:59 PM
Knuckles73
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winters coming...heated Liners or overcoat/pants

Winter on the way and I will still put on 200-300 miles in a day traveling. Never have had heated gear before...in the northern south (TN, no. GA, SC/NC) it gets cold.

I don't like bulkiness and have thought that a heated overcoat and pants would be a good choice. Any one have this instead of liners? And do they work? $$ is no object.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:28 PM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Received 956 Likes on 456 Posts

I'm in the same area and ride all year. Heated glove *liners* with the gloves in the picture over them (make sure you get the liner with these gloves!) and a heated jacket liner (full sleeve, *not* vest) with my leather jacket (real, not some leatherup crap). Schampa balaclava. Halcyon Mark 9 vintage leather goggles. Long handles, jeans over those and chaps over the jeans. 1100 gram thinsulate waterproof golden retriever logger boots and I can ride in 18 degree weather all night long (I've done this!). Granted, the toes will still get a bit cold and you'll have to pull over once in a while to walk around and stomp on them to get them warm again, but it'll last about a hundred miles or so til you need to do it again usually.

Picture here...
http://store.colemans.com/cart/glove...ed-p-2628.html

Old 10-16-2013, 07:42 PM
2011FLHTK
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Heated vest, heated gloves, heated pants liner, heated kidney belt, and heated grips on the bike. Never used them all at the same time, but would if necessary. I prefer the heated items to bulk or layers alone. Leather is not a good insulator.

Can't stand the cold on the bike - never could. Call me a wimp if you like. Don't care.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:05 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Heated Gear

If you want to stay warm, and money is no object, buy the heated jacket and pants. They are a lot more money but I've never heard anything negative about them.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:39 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I go for heated gloves. I don't mind layers for coats and pants. I did learn early on to carry spare fuses for the gloves. Also to locate the fuse holder where it can be reached.

One winter the fuse blew for the gloves. The holder is just after the battery connection and the seat needed to be removed. Since I did not carry a spare fuse it did not matter. Hands were cold when I got home.

Lengthened the wire to locate the fuse holder just outside the side cover. It happened again last winter. I pulled over. put the new fuse in and waited for the gloves to warm up and took off.

I ride if it is 20 or more degrees and the roads are clear. That is about half of the winter days in the mid west. I did 7K from Nov. 1 to March 31 with ease.

I do limit the ride to about three hours. I find that longer would require heated foot gear.

Last edited by lh4x4; 10-16-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:07 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

When I rode in 36° weather last winter, the only part of me that got cold was my hands. I can add clothes under my leathers but my hands...I don't like the bulky feeling of them on the controls. So heated gloves are the only thing I'd buy.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:51 PM
Bestrafen
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 518 Likes on 267 Posts

winters coming...

I just noticed your location...

This should work this winter,

Old 10-16-2013, 10:56 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

All you guys who are all about buying things to keep warm so you can still ride through the winter? I got y'all beat, I shed Minnesota and put on Texas, then Arizona. MUCH better!

Old 10-16-2013, 11:09 PM
mrmikey32
Road Captain

I plan on doing the heated route.

But as for gloves, I wear mountain hardwear medusa.

By far the warmest glove I have ever worn, and 100% waterproof, not resistant.

I have worn them in -40F, with wind and been warm.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:48 PM
Knuckles73
Tourer

yeah in my immediate area...Florida not much needed but leathers and good gloves. but I ride north 5-600 miles and need electric heated gear. which is better layers and then the Gerbing over coat and pants or the liners then layers? Does anyone use the overcoat/pants set up...for me heated gloves and socks/insoles are a given

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: winters coming...heated Liners or overcoat/pants