General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sweet custom GoPro handlebar mount

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 10:19 PM
supermanotorious
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sweet custom GoPro handlebar mount

alright so a few things that have been on my mind:

first is that GoPro does not make a bar/pole mount for 1.25" diameter bars which sucks if you just liked to film your rides for fun or art like making a time lapse video of a run as I used to do on a bike with 1" bars

then with all this crazy crap happening to bikers lately such as the NYC Range Rover incident, the Brazilian bike theft attempt, a local kid getting killed right down the street from my home in Phoenix this week on his crotch rocket, and my recent altercation with a Lexus driving deusche in North Scottsdale I feel it necessary to record each and every ride in the event evidence would be helpful

so I started wearing the chesty GoPro mount but found it filmed my gauges for the most part, I rarely wear a helmet (a debate for another thread) so the helmet mount for the most part is- out

after some thinking I decided to order some spare bar clamps from Barefoot ******* (http://www.barefootwillies.com/product-p/ec.htm), one in fact for the cell phone holder of theirs which had the clamp for the old 1" bars and then a second which I thought I could modify to attach the GoPro tri pod mount (http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/tripod-mount) to the handlebars

I paid for expedited shipping and the clamps were here 2 days later, note the tri pod mount accepts a 1/4" standard bolt thread

I picked up a 1/4" by 3/4"L flat head bolt to run thru the clamp, I had to drill the poly-carbonate with a 1/2" drill bit just so slightly so the bolt would rest below the curved surface as not to scratch my handlebars, used neoprene (rubber) washers on both sides of the poly-carbonate clamp to reduce vibration to the camera, I'm pretty pleased with the result

Attached Thumbnails sweet custom GoPro handlebar mount-004.jpg   sweet custom GoPro handlebar mount-005.jpg   sweet custom GoPro handlebar mount-006.jpg   sweet custom GoPro handlebar mount-007.jpg   sweet custom GoPro handlebar mount-008.jpg  

Old 10-17-2013, 10:25 PM
supermanotorious
Tourer

here are some more installation pics, I'll get you some video tomorrow on my way in to work, also note the clip hanging from the GoPro case, here is why that standard lanyard is important

Attached Thumbnails sweet custom GoPro handlebar mount-010.jpg   sweet custom GoPro handlebar mount-011.jpg   sweet custom GoPro handlebar mount-012.jpg   sweet custom GoPro handlebar mount-013.jpg  

Last edited by supermanotorious; 10-17-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:35 AM
Milwaukeebuddy
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Last edited by Milwaukeebuddy; 10-18-2013 at 06:38 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:38 AM
supermanotorious
Tourer

and here's your video, I think the mount is extremely good, very little vibration

Old 10-22-2013, 11:38 PM
supermanotorious
Tourer

I'm experimenting with a rear view camera as well, tried this helmet mount on the rear pad, camera was super shaky, on a positive note, not one cager got/stayed close behind me once they noticed the camera, tomorrow I'm trying a bar mount around the rear quick release bar for the sissy bar

Attached Thumbnails sweet custom GoPro handlebar mount-001.jpg  

Last edited by supermanotorious; 10-23-2013 at 12:43 AM.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:35 PM
supermanotorious
Tourer

the quick release bar served as a pretty decent mount, a little shakey but nearly as bad as the seat top, here is a sample

Old 10-23-2013, 11:08 PM
dbc58
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A word of warning for anyone using a solid Go-Pro mount. I had it mounted on the engine guard and it cracked from vibration fatigue. My Go-Pro Hero II sailed of into the wind at 75 MPH. This was about miles into a trip. It broke just below the center adjustable joint.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:07 PM
supermanotorious
Tourer

dbc that's exactly why I posted Mic's video of the lanyard, I did this immediately after we snapped a mount on our gokart out in the desert, the GoPro plus LCD backpack were gone, luckily we traced our path, in the dark, and found it in the middle of the trail, I just lost a damn lanyard the other day without the GoPro on board so I'll need to pick another one up, lanyards are cheap but save big over replacement cameras

now check this crap out, not one week into filming and I capture this *** almost side swiping me this afternoon on the way home, you can almost make out his plate

Old 10-29-2013, 09:54 PM
supermanotorious
Tourer

here are some further protective steps in the event you get seperated from your beloved GoPro

1) put your contact info in the case physically
2) put your contact info on the SD card

chances are 50/50 as to whether or not the finder is a good person but if you don't supply the opportunity, there is a 99% chance you'll not get your camera or SD card back

why not 100%? well there was a kite surfer who lost his in the ocean, a fisherman found it, posted the images on a forum and someone ended up recognizing the original owner, pretty crazy

Attached Thumbnails sweet custom GoPro handlebar mount-file-name.jpg   sweet custom GoPro handlebar mount-text-body.jpg   sweet custom GoPro handlebar mount-002.jpg  

Last edited by supermanotorious; 10-29-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:06 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

Good idea on the lanyard. I've been using one since I hit a rain filled pothole and my GPS jumped to it's death.

I used a small ball mount under the left mirror to mount my GoPro.
No vibration, easy to reach, and I can turn it to face backwards as well.

I use the long mount arm so that the video doesn't show the tach but shows more of the road. I can swivel it in any direction
I need to using just my left hand.

(sorry for the blurry cell camera shot)

Quick Reply: sweet custom GoPro handlebar mount