General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Way too much to go wrong.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 07:26 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts
Default Way too much to go wrong.

Just finished reading yet another thread about some problems with a newer bike. Bcm, Pv, Flashing and all that other **** is greek to me and I don't want to have to worry about it.

I know a lot of guys love the new "hi tech" **** and say that "its progress" and I need to "embrace it or get left behind".

Well, from what I have been reading here and hearing from some people I know with newer bikes, it sounds like more of them are getting "left behind" when the electronic **** stops working while they are on a ride and they end up sitting on the side of the road, watching the rest of the traffic go by while they wait for a tow to the dealer.

You all can have it. My 05 has some of it and I will not buy another new bike as long as I live (which probably won't be too much longer anyway).

I was kicking around the idea of a new Indian but don't think I will do that either.

Just too much to go wrong.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:35 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

This mentality is so silly to me. Like and Engine Management system all of a sudden created reliability issues with bikes that would have never had any problems without. Flashing a file to your ECM is probably one of the most simple processes there is. You just have to spend a few minutes to read instructions. Hell, you could spend a few hours and have a damn near comprehensive understanding of how it works even. I can flash a file to my ECM, go out and ride my bike and create a log, come back and adjust the file and reflash it again, all in the time it would take you to get the jets changed on your carburetor.

In the time you spent making this thread you could have learned enough to be able to properly flash a calibration to an ECM.

Don't be afraid of technology, some of it is great. You will never get a carbureted bike to run as good over such a broad range as you will with a proper fuel injected one.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:46 AM
SJ58
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard an old timer say this about 20 years ago..."When the whole world goes computer, we're screwed". Wise words, I think.
I'm going to get an older bike with no computer that's been parked in a shed for a long time. It's not HD, but I'll have a good time getting it running again, hopefully.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:14 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,783 Likes on 6,213 Posts

I'm with you IA. And to think I was just getting to the point to accept that electronic ignition is bulletproof enough to consider putting one in my Shovel. Cam-chain tensioners, Compensators, Radiator leaks, Hydraulic clutch. Hell, my Shovelhead wouldn't know what to do with an ECM.
Some guys on here have said not to buy the first year of anything new. With the typical slow reaction of the Moco to address issues, I wouldn't buy the first six years of it. One thing that has remained constant with H-D for as long as I can remember is that you don't buy a finished product, you are purchasing a work in progress. After an unspecified amount of time, effort and money, you end up with something that satisfies your expectations.
Kinda sad when the aftermarket comes up with fixes before the factory does (Example - The hydraulic cam chain tensioner solution is still Andrews...It's labeled as "Hybrid" right on the package at H-D).
New technology is fine, as long as it's reliable BEFORE it's put out to market.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:17 AM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's funny to me when somebody gets on their computer, logs onto the internet, and complains about technology....

Old 10-18-2013, 08:19 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,783 Likes on 6,213 Posts

At least my computer had the bugs worked out of it before they sold it to me.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:22 AM
HotVrod
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by brunswickoh
It's funny to me when somebody gets on their computer, logs onto the internet, and complains about technology....

Made me chuckle....

Old 10-18-2013, 08:24 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I can just here a guy in 1966 complaining about that fancy electric starter. The kick start was always good enough. Why change?

Old 10-18-2013, 08:29 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Ive never seen someones personal computer leave them stranded beside the road. The more chit you have on a bike the more chit thats apt to go wrong. Personally, if I wanted high tech I wouldnt have bought a hd. Simplicity at its finest

Old 10-18-2013, 08:38 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I bet the first heaters, radios, blinkers, interior light, electric roof, electronic locking systems, tail gates, electric windows blah blah blah went wrong too.

My computer still breaks down or slows down a lot. Our 4G phones jam, our cable goes on the blink, even the Government can't get the new Healthcare website running (ha).

Quick Reply: Way too much to go wrong.