General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Heritage versus Indian Vintage!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 10:01 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I got to see and sit on the Indians in Sturgis this year. Did not ride one though. I did not like the vintage. When I asked the dealers there about the buckskin leather. They said it will weather over time. It is not rain proofed so it will get spots on it when wet. Also the seat will darken over time from sitting on it. Lastly the leather fringe is all removable. It is held on with Velcro. I am not sure how that will hold up over time. I will just keep my Heritage.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:10 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Originally Posted by byersmtrco

He went to great lengths to see that CHP in all counties in Calif ran Harley's
NOT Indians. So much so, that Walter Davidson (himself) GAVE my
grandfather a BRAND NEW motorcycle. Not sure of the details, but whatever
was similar to the police issue was at the time. I am not sure of the timeframe. I think it might have been a 61 cubic inch Panhead.
If it was a pan it would have been several years after '37. Pans were first inrtroduced in 1948

Old 10-27-2013, 12:01 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts
Talking

I enjoyed watching this comparo. I think the Road King with the Classic option would have been more meaningful though. While I love the softail frame and setup, the last time it was updated was 2000.
Thanks for posting. Does anybody know if Indian lets you test ride their bikes? I'd love to try one myself.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:08 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rizzo
Spec sheet says the tank it 5.5 gallons - a 6 gallon would look better? Really ? How would you be able to tell the difference if it was .5 gallon larger ?
By covering up the neck area more and looking more in proportion with the rest of the bike.

The tank looks like an after thought in size.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:14 PM
rideflhr
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

They report the Heritage got 35 MPG.My deluxe 103 gets close to 50 mpg with FLVIED's set max enrichment.I live in the mountains and ride pretty spiritedly. They say the frt brakes were hard to use. I use one or two fingers on the frt,which I use almost exclusively.
They do look cool though.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:40 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Sleeko
I enjoyed watching this comparo. I think the Road King with the Classic option would have been more meaningful though. While I love the softail frame and setup, the last time it was updated was 2000.
Thanks for posting. Does anybody know if Indian lets you test ride their bikes? I'd love to try one myself.
Absolutely! They would love for you to come test ride all three of their new Indian models. I got an invitation to come test ride them at our local dealer her in MI Dick Scott Classic motorcycles but I didn't go because I already found my perfect bike. If you go to your local polaris Indian dealer they will probably have bikes on hand for you to test ride and if not they will let you know when they will.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:39 PM
magazine
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<p>I rode a vintage and would prefer a new heritage by looks and ride alone. The problem is the unlikely hood I can ride my Harley for ten years without some sort of expensive repairs. Sometimes new is better. The Indians of the past 50 years haven't been anymore dependable than Harley. I'll keep my RKC as long as possible. I love it. I just antipate failures more than I probably should.

Last edited by magazine; 10-27-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:29 PM
DivineDark
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

There will be an aftermarket for these bikes. People that don't like the buckskin can easily change it. I'd imagine that the aftermarket, while not in the hd range, will look something like the victorys. Not too shabby.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:42 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Tailsfrommycrib
Absolutely! They would love for you to come test ride all three of their new Indian models. I got an invitation to come test ride them at our local dealer her in MI Dick Scott Classic motorcycles but I didn't go because I already found my perfect bike. If you go to your local polaris Indian dealer they will probably have bikes on hand for you to test ride and if not they will let you know when they will.
Cool beans. Thanks for the info man.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:31 PM
The Biscuit
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last week I saw my first two Indians.
. the first at a dealer that happened to be at a city I had to go to,, Got a close look.. First thought was it has a lot of its frame hidden by molded pieces.. made me think what could be modified with options, with so much covered... if you look there isn't much of any spots planned for add ons. (example you want a engine guard on a Harley the holes are waiting the kit). I also noticed I believe the primary fluid opening with a multipointed chrome design that made me wonder what tool would loosen it,, and what would it look like after a few years..

I did like the off red color and leather brown look... bags and windshield are quick release..didn't see them off. I also thought bikes look would change big time with a added sissy bar. don't think it would look good,, this is a one up bike or its ugly... also..if your into heal shifting its a add on option.. Wonder how it would look with the floorboards cause standard is tucked front and close to floorboard...
2nd bike I saw being towed on the interstate, owner must have had to buy from a distance with limited dealer network...

I believe it also to be 1 bike with three looks.

Last edited by The Biscuit; 10-27-2013 at 07:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Harley Heritage versus Indian Vintage!