General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California Evap Canister Relocation Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 12:01 AM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default California Evap Canister Relocation Project

I'm looking to relocate my evap canister...and yes, I know I can just remove it, add the 49-state hose and be done, but I don't want to. I've got a couple ideas and need some advice.

I have a Sputhe Positrac and initially just removed the canister and plugged the vacuum line until I could find a way to relocate it. I ended up just zip tying in place above the Positrac mount. It's secure, but looks like crap. (It's the black thing with the Biltwell sticker for the non-Californians.)

One idea is to stuff it in a chin fairing. I got a Dougz fairing and found that the canister will fit inside, but the hoses won't. I would have to drill holes in the side of the fairing, and I don't think it would look any neater than what I have now.

The other idea I have is to relocate it vertically between the down tubes using the horn relocation tab I have from DK customs (but ditch the horn).
My question for doing it this way is about the level. I'll have to move the overflow hose up above the canister, which puts it at or just below the gas tank level. Will that cause me any problems? I can't think of any, but I'm not familiar with how these things operate. I guess if the canister got so full of fumes that condensed enough into enough volume to actually overflow, I'd have gas blowing back into the engine (and my thighs). Seems highly unlikely to me.

Here's what I'm thinking it will look like:

Has anyone tried a relo of this canister? Any other ideas or opinions on these two?

Thanks.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:09 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by SquidHead
I'm looking to relocate my evap canister...and yes, I know I can just remove it, add the 49-state hose and be done, but I don't want to. I've got a couple ideas and need some advice.

I have a Sputhe Positrac and initially just removed the canister and plugged the vacuum line until I could find a way to relocate it. I ended up just zip tying in place above the Positrac mount. It's secure, but looks like crap. (It's the black thing with the Biltwell sticker for the non-Californians.)

One idea is to stuff it in a chin fairing. I got a Dougz fairing and found that the canister will fit inside, but the hoses won't. I would have to drill holes in the side of the fairing, and I don't think it would look any neater than what I have now.

The other idea I have is to relocate it vertically between the down tubes using the horn relocation tab I have from DK customs (but ditch the horn).
My question for doing it this way is about the level. I'll have to move the overflow hose up above the canister, which puts it at or just below the gas tank level. Will that cause me any problems? I can't think of any, but I'm not familiar with how these things operate. I guess if the canister got so full of fumes that condensed enough into enough volume to actually overflow, I'd have gas blowing back into the engine (and my thighs). Seems highly unlikely to me.

Here's what I'm thinking it will look like:

Has anyone tried a relo of this canister? Any other ideas or opinions on these two?

Thanks.
I would really think twice about putting it right in front of your cylinder, it would be blocking an awful lot of air flow to the air cooled engine.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 10-21-2013, 01:23 AM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member

Yeah, I considered that, too. But my external oil cooler does a really good job keeping temps low. I would definitely keep an eye on it and take it down if the temps came up.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:50 AM
d-streetglidr
Road Warrior
Location: South Carolina-First to secede and hopefully the next.
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I would think twice about putting a fuel evap canister right in front of an exhaust pipe.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:02 AM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by d-streetglidr
I would think twice about putting a fuel evap canister right in front of an exhaust pipe.
The canister itself is sealed, but I can see your point. My real concern is the vent overflow vent.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:14 AM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

how about somewhere else, like on the left side rear? I think Sportys have them under the frame towards the back, also

Old 10-21-2013, 09:26 AM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jakenok
how about somewhere else, like on the left side rear? I think Sportys have them under the frame towards the back, also

Old 10-21-2013, 09:40 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,066 Likes on 11,074 Posts

I would leave it where it is. I am sure MOCO engineers scratched their heads and did just like you are doing, figuring out where to put that thing. Mounting it somewhere else will just create other problems that the engineers already discovered. Your decision to keep the canister is perplexing.

Last edited by upflying; 10-21-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:00 AM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No ideas on where to move it but I'm wondering why you want to keep it at all?

Old 10-21-2013, 10:06 AM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoticov
No ideas on where to move it but I'm wondering why you want to keep it at all?
Other than the way it looks, it does nothing to hinder performance.

Quick Reply: California Evap Canister Relocation Project