General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very Sad Weekend In PA

Old 10-21-2013, 02:44 PM
GMRO
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Very Sad Weekend In PA

5 from Pa. die as motorcycles, SUV crash near Md.

The Associated Press WAYNESBORO, Pa. — 10/19/13

A local coroner on Sunday identified five Pennsylvania residents as the victims of a horrific crash involving two motorcycles and an SUV near the Maryland state line.

All four people traveling on the motorcycles died, as did Marjorie Smith, 68, of Johnstown, who was a passenger in the SUV, according to Franklin County coroner Jeffrey Conner.

The motorcyclists were Douglas Hoffer Jr., 32, of Quarryville; Colleen Nesbitt, 27, of Gap; and David Russell, 67, and Michelle Russell, 53, both of Mount Joy.

The crash happened Saturday afternoon in the south-central Pennsylvania community of Washington Township, not far from Waynesboro.

According to Conner, the northbound SUV crossed the center line on Fort Ritchie Access Road for unknown reasons and hit the motorcycle driven by Hoffer. The SUV then spun around and was broadsided by the Russells' bike, he said in a statement.

Conner would not comment on the relationships among the victims. Washington Township police released no further information about the accident on Sunday.

Township Supervisor Elaine Gladhill said she went to the scene because of the high number of fatalities to support emergency workers. Grief counselors were on hand, she said.

Gladhill described the scene as "horrific" in an interview with the AP. She said it might have been the single accident with that many fatalities in the township.

First OFF - RIP to the fellow riders lost and to their families and ones left behind, sincere condolences...

Last Saturday.10/12/13, wife and I and 2 buddies, 1 Softail and Trike went up to Mount Davis in PA. About a 220 mile ride round-trip.

What a ride... a## hats all over the road. Wife and I almost got hit 4 times that day by fools on the road. Funny thing was I almost called it each time. Folks never see you!!! That was prolly the worst ride we ever had with close calls. From folks merging wrong and trying to pass a car while jumping into your lane as well as the ol'pause and stop at an intersection when WE have the right-of-way-thru way. Needless to say we did make it home ok but it does really make you think to be safe and ride safe! AS SAFE as you can be!

Last edited by GMRO; 10-21-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:51 PM
ClutchCargopa
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I am from the Hanover area and seldom ride to work. I work north of York and the traffic is horrific at best. People are distracted by eating and gadget use while driving. I know in other parts of the US the traffic is far worse.
I feel bad about those people who have been killed this weekend. I get a knot in my stomach each time I hear about a biker down. It is happening to often in my opinion around here.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:52 PM
CVN-65
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is very sad indeed.

I rode through that area a few weeks ago, and yes, asshats everywhere.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:04 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...ead-in-pa.html

The first report made it sound like the bikes were at fault, unless it's been updated. It was just difficult to believe to riders would both hit an oncoming SUV. Thoughts to the riders families and friends.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:15 PM
mountain man
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...ead-in-pa.html

The first report made it sound like the bikes were at fault, unless it's been updated. It was just difficult to believe to riders would both hit an oncoming SUV. Thoughts to the riders families and friends.
Suv was at fault!!! They didn't release what the axact details are,however the the suv was in there lane!!

Old 10-21-2013, 04:24 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts