General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander V QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 11:27 PM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Power Commander V QUESTION

Just installed a PCV in my 08 Road King Classic. I downloaded the map from the Dynojet website that matched my setup perfectly. Bike runs a bit smoother, but not a huge difference. There's two things I don't like at all though. First is minor, the motor cranks over several times before starting. Second is major, I used to get around 210-230 miles to a tank of gas, now I'm looking at around 170.

Is this normal? What's wrong?

Last edited by Loc_Tite; 10-25-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:48 PM
hdslam
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The decrease in mileage is normal, being that the fuel mixture is richer with the "canned" map. Same will go with a custom map, which is my case. I too had the cranking issue with the "V."

As soon as I got home from my 12,500 mile journey this year, I yanked that thing off the bike. Had a custom tune done at Trask Performance in Phoenix, who usually tunes my bikes.

Runs soooo much better than that POS power commander v. Smoother running and no hard starting. Mileage, about the same, because of the richer fuel mixture.

So, if you know anyone who wants a new PC V, approximately 600 miles on it, and in the box. Hit me up! Will provide all the serial numbers if anyone is interested.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:05 AM
Zombie Topz
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hdslam
The decrease in mileage is normal, being that the fuel mixture is richer with the "canned" map. Same will go with a custom map, which is my case. I too had the cranking issue with the "V."

As soon as I got home from my 12,500 mile journey this year, I yanked that thing off the bike. Had a custom tune done at Trask Performance in Phoenix, who usually tunes my bikes.

Runs soooo much better than that POS power commander v. Smoother running and no hard starting. Mileage, about the same, because of the richer fuel mixture.

So, if you know anyone who wants a new PC V, approximately 600 miles on it, and in the box. Hit me up! Will provide all the serial numbers if anyone is interested.
Was this tune done without some sort of command module? How much did it run ya?

Old 10-26-2013, 06:49 AM
Rat1
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought the V allowed you to tweak the tune to your liking?

Old 10-26-2013, 07:14 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,388 Likes on 21,384 Posts

Originally Posted by hdslam

Well then...
What kind of tuner did you install?
I must have missed that?

Did you think about getting a tune with the POS power commander v?

I did as many have and have zero issues.. FWIW.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:54 AM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a PCV for sale. Trading the bike and have removed a lot of the accessories. $100 contact me via personal message.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:38 AM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I got mine from www.fuelmotousa.com with preloaded map for my setup. Had some decel pop, Jaime sent me another map which took care of it. My mileage is about the same, starts on first crank, runs strong & cooler. Something ain't right with yours IMO.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:46 AM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 345 Likes on 175 Posts

Canned map is just that, a generic canned map. It will run but that's about it. You got to tune it, either with auto-tune module or on dyno. Auto tune will get it real close if you know how to set it up but at that point you have spent more money than if you had bought the TTS mastertune in the first place and done the V-tune with laptop strapped to bike. It does take more of a learing curve that the PCV.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:23 AM
spyderwebb
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my PC V from Fuel Moto pre-mapped for my V&H Pro Pipe Chrome and Pro Billet Stage 1 AC, bike runs great. Though I notice after it has warmed up and I shut it down and restart it starts right up if I don't wait for the injectors to prime, if I wait for them to prime..it takes a few more cranks to fire up.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:36 PM
Rhood
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turner

Hi I am interested in your turner can you give me the model number please
Thanks

Originally Posted by teedubya
I have a PCV for sale. Trading the bike and have removed a lot of the accessories. $100 contact me via personal message.

Quick Reply: Power Commander V QUESTION