General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE Pro Tuner versus Street Tuner and Warranty Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 02:00 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 266 Likes on 171 Posts
Default SE Pro Tuner versus Street Tuner and Warranty Issue

Picking up new SGS tomorrow and want to order parts at the same time. In another thread I found out that the Pro tuner ($459.95) is a much better tuner than Street tuner ($249.95) and have no problem with the cost. The problem is in the SE online catalog it clearly list the Pro tuner as a "NO" for retaining the engine warranty (see bookmark below).

I do have the SEST (Super Tuner) on my 09 and perhaps installing that back then voided my engine warranty but I wasn't aware but now I am and don't want to jeopardize the warranty on my new bike. Has this concerned anyone else who has purchased a new bike? What did your dealer tell you? What did you do?

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/...d#/f935f2bd/28

Old 10-30-2013, 03:28 PM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Buy a Power Vision instead...better flexibility, technical support, and it doesn't stay on bike unless you want it to. If you ever have a warranty issue, you can always flash the stock tune right back into the ECM and MOCO will be none the wiser.

Either that, or find a good HD tech who isn't a dick about such things.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:50 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

The key words here are "full engine warranty". Some parts of the engine will still be warranted. Certainly the emissions part won't be though. The rest will probably be a judgment call.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:17 PM
JAKE 2544
Road Captain
Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I installed the pro tuner on my FLHX with no problems but brought it in for a loud banging noise on hot starts. Turned out that when I installed the tuner the ACR's were disabled. They enabled them back on and never said anything about my warranty or charge me for it. Much more flexibility with the pro, and by the way no decel pop with a canned map from the SE software. I'm very happy with the tuner ...

Last edited by JAKE 2544; 10-30-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:19 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by SquidHead
Buy a Power Vision instead...better flexibility, technical support, and it doesn't stay on bike unless you want it to. If you ever have a warranty issue, you can always flash the stock tune right back into the ECM and MOCO will be none the wiser.

Either that, or find a good HD tech who isn't a dick about such things.
The SEST has worked so well for me on the current bike makes me lean toward continuing with using a H-D product but have heard nothing but good about the PV.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:33 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by JAKE 2544
I installed the pro tuner on my FLHX with mo problems and brought it in for a loud banging noise on hot starts. Turned out that when I installed the tuner the ACR's were disabled. They enabled them back on and never said anything about my warranty or charge me for it. Much more flexibility with the pro, and by the way no decel pop with a canned map from the SE software. I'm very happy with the tuner ...
The dealer who I'm buying the bike from and doing the initial parts order with would work with me if something were to come up probably the same way your dealer worked with you. My problem is I'm not buying the bike from my closest dealer ($1500 difference in trade in value so I'm going 3 hours away) but they are the dealer I hope to do any warranty work that might come up. They might not be as cordial with me as yours seems to have been.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:55 PM
13dino
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,232 Likes on 1,126 Posts

The PV is worthwhile. The Pro tuner is a gamble.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:49 PM
JAKE 2544
Road Captain
Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 13dino
Really ??? Please explain !

Old 10-30-2013, 09:05 PM
Guitardude
Club Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Where the Harley tuner has the edge is with warranty work. There are more and more dealers who are taking the stance that if you used anything but an HD tuner they won't touch it, some until you take it off and/or the stock map back, and some not at all. If it was dyno'd using an HD tuner, or if you are running a canned HD map, there's not an issue, ever. If I'm at a dealer because I have a problem I don't want to do anything but say "here, fix it" hand them the bike and HD tuner and no hassle.

Not taking ANYTHING away from ANY other tuner, just pointing out what I've seen more and more. YMMV

Old 10-31-2013, 03:28 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 13dino
Yes, please explain. Being a Pro Tuner user, I'd like to know.

Quick Reply: SE Pro Tuner versus Street Tuner and Warranty Issue