General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Craftsman Evol tools

Old 10-30-2013, 06:04 PM
Mac10
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Craftsman Evol tools

I'm sure a lot of you might know this, I didn't so I thought I'd pass it along. I needed a T50 torx bit today for shocks. I went to Sears and found a five piece torx bit set on sale for 8.99. Had the craftsman logo on it with EVOl under it. Didnt think twice about it. Bought them and went to take off my shocks. After two pushes on the ratchet, the bit snapped like a twig. So I went back to sears and asked the guy about getting it replaced. He explained that the EVOl line of Craftsman tools are made exclusively in China and they are crap. They also aren't under any type of warranty. He said the professional craftsman series are the better made. But he said even that line is hit or miss if they are made in the US or China. So I bought that set at 39.99 hence the big difference in price. So stay away from EVOL craftsman, they are garbage.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:17 PM
lohawg
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Yep, they are right there with Walmart, cheap crap, but some people only buy on price now. It's a shame since Craftsman used to be 100% guaranteed, now you better watch what brand.

It won't be long, everything you buy will be PRC made. It's already happened to the power tool segment, i.e., Dewalt, Milwaukee, Skil?,Porter Cable. They're all just names now, nothing much else American left.

Anybody that goes out and buys all the old American made tools they can find and hoards them will probably make money in the long run, especially electrical hand tools. The blogs are full of how sh***y the new stuff is and how fast it fails.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:18 PM
01fxdxt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts

Sad isn't it.Those are Harbor Crap and Garbage quality tools.If it says China ,it is a fake tool made to look like the real thing.I understand more and more Sears Crapman tools are going this way.Suppose you bought Craftsman for 40 years BECAUSE they were made in the USA,now if you need to return a failed unit they hand you a Chinese fake tool...Sorry ,this should be illegal.I have a twisted ,large diameter torx bit that appears to made of material only slightly tougher that hard cheese.But the company that sells this shix ,buys for a penny,sells for a dollar.Great way to do business ain't it?

P.S. If you want to buy quality American made tools(pliers,adjustable wrenches,etc.) that are made of materials that can do the job repeatedly,go to E-bay and grab some excellent Diamond brand tools.Unfortunately there will be no warranty,but if used the way they are meant to be used,they will bowl you over with quality.The Diamond brand was around for a hundred years and was bought out and killed by another US co.that now imports Chinese fake tools.

Last edited by 01fxdxt; 10-30-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:19 PM
lohawg
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

PS, I forgot to add, they should call those the "De-evolve" line of tools. We're going backwards in quality.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:29 PM
Mac10
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

It is a shame. Since I was a younger teenager working on stuff with my dad, he always had Craftsman. And I've had most of my Craftsman for years. It's sad that something so reliable and something you can almost put as true American like baseball, has gone to the crapper.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:32 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 711 Posts

Saw those yesterday when I went to buy T45 sockets. Passed on them and bought 3 of the $6.49 sockets. Inventory at this Sears was pretty low. I remember the days when Sears was the place to go.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:36 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

I learned real quick like you did, that a $10 torx set and motorcycle do not go
together! I picked up a set from SK, they are very strong and well made.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:48 PM
acunn1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or look at snap on

Old 10-30-2013, 06:50 PM
01fxdxt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Rider1200
Saw those yesterday when I went to buy T45 sockets. Passed on them and bought 3 of the $6.49 sockets. Inventory at this Sears was pretty low. I remember the days when Sears was the place to go.
Fuccin joke to call this a tool!

Attached Thumbnails Craftsman Evol tools-005.jpg  
Old 10-30-2013, 06:54 PM
hdking13
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started buying stuff from Husky at Home Depot and haven't had an issue. If it is a technical tool such as a torque wrench I use Proto.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Craftsman Evol tools