General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

craziest "holy shit" moment to date

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 09:23 PM
supermanotorious
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default craziest "holy ****" moment to date

Changing from far left HOV lane to off ramp, pretty wide open opportunity in traffic. I make the move, it's all good, double check the lanes over my shoulder then when I look back the lane I was entering, everyone has suddenly stopped. In the video you'll see the brakes sooner than I did, remember its not a helmet cam. I hit the brakes and the rear wheel locks up, I'm sliding sideways and who knows how my instinct kicked in to perfectly balance the bike and not over correct. I barely miss the SUV. Heart racing I get on the off ramp and speed away. My fault I know. Just sharing.

I'll get the video up soon

Old 10-31-2013, 09:24 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

That would be pretty scary

Old 10-31-2013, 09:37 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

Last year while riding at the Grand Canyon just after dark I see headlights coming towards me. NOPE! Turned out to be the eyes of a big buck standing in the middle of the road looking at me. Missed him by about 8 feet.

An hour later we had to slow down for a tourist bus. Suddenly a herd of Elk walks between the rear of the bus and my front tire. The friggen animals were huge! Sitting on my bike, I was eye level with their shoulders. A big bull stopped right in front of me and just stared at me.
I was sure there was going to be wrestling match between a Harley and an Elk. He finally just walked away.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:06 PM
supermanotorious
Tourer

I'm sure more moments will come but keep in mind, I only started riding in March or April this year, looking at me or my Dyna you'd never know it and that's why I'm a shoe in on the major club rides.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:33 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

2 years ago i was running 75 on a busy south texas highway and was meeting an 18 wheeler when his driver's side front tire blew out and he swerved into my lane. hit the brakes and the shoulder...steep ditch and deer-proof fence--did not want to run off into that. the truck driver got it under control and started back to his lane. i was probably slowed down to about 40 and he was probably doing the same. oh yeah, here comes the trailer!!! misses me by about 6 inches and jack knifes across both lanes of traffic. guess i should have gone and bought a bunch of lottery tickets, but i think i may have already used up all my good luck for the week.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:58 PM
supermanotorious
Tourer
Old 10-31-2013, 11:19 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by supermanotorious
Yeah, that would be pretty scarey. I try to plan for people coming over like that by giving myself more room.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:19 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Good catch on not hitting those cars.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:31 PM
jamminjim
Cruiser

My wife said all she heard was " O **** " then I hit the bear in 08!!!!!!!

Old 10-31-2013, 11:56 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

We were riding our dirtbikes near Lake Kookanusa B.C. when suddenly a herd of elk crossed our path or should I say we crossed their path. There was about hundred of them, we just stopped right on the spot as they ran passed and not one of them hit us. We kept the motors running and revving so that may have kept them at bay.
Another time in an area called Porcupine Hills Alberta I was on my dirt bike and turned a corner around thick bush and nailed a grizzly bear right in the *** with my front wheel. He wasn't a big one and took off like I had shot him. My family and friends rode up 20 seconds later, I told them what just happened and of course I got the "ya sure look".

Quick Reply: craziest "holy shit" moment to date