General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solo Springer Seat - Are they comfortable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 07:57 PM
Superrust
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solo Springer Seat - Are they comfortable?

I love the look of the springer seats but for what they cost (seat + install kit) I want to know what others that use them think. I've searched the forum without much luck so I figured I'd start a new thread.

Currently my Slim has the original 'tuck and roll' seat that came stock. My regular rides range from 70- 150 miles but by the time I get close to the 70 mile mark my butts going numb. I realize that going further I may want a more padded seat but we're talking the springer seats here.

So the main question is, will I get the same performance out of a springer? Though I'm looking at the HD models (White Diamond -http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/white-diamond-solo-spring-saddle) is there a maker that provides better comfort? My color options are white.. or at minimum white stitching on black.

Thanks -

Old 11-02-2013, 08:55 PM
acman308
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I like mine have whats usually reffered to as the 1925style.

The single longest day i've put in on it was 673 miles.
That was on the way back from sturgis this year after riding ~ mostly
All day every day for two weeks straight.

It doesnt look comfortable i was skeptical with the lack of
Padding but it is i also think the spring seats make it easyer
On your back by absorbing more of the road

Old 11-02-2013, 09:00 PM
Superrust
Tourer

Thanks ACMAN. The sales person I talked with at the dealership mentioned that they are pretty comfy as well. Said that they get a little better once the springs soften as well.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:24 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Which spring seat are you talking about?

If you mean the HD Spring Solo with torsion springs (see my sig pic) then I do have as much experience as any other on a Slim.

I'd say you'll get another 40 miles of comfort out of it on the long haul compared to the stock seat. To me, it goes well with the throwback vibe of the bike.

I don't know if the springs soften, as the dealer claims. I really don't think so.

My bike is lowered about 1.25 inches, and it does absorb some shock to have the spring seat there.

Other, extremely comfortable 2 up seats, look too billowy for my personal taste on the Slim. Since I don't tour much, but do ride daily in the city, I prefer a stripped down look that absorbs some of the bad roads here in L.A.

The spring seat will cause you ride a little higher on the bike. You'll lose some of that cockpit feel you have with the stock seat. I am actually looking for a way to mitigate some of this, and may have a slight mod that will do it. I'll keep the board posted if it works.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:47 PM
Superrust
Tourer

Thanks SoCal, I am looking at the HD Spring Solo. It has that old school vide I'm going for and knowing that it's at least as comfortable if not more than the stock seat is enough for me to feel good about spending the money on it. I don't mind riding a bit higher in the saddle, might even change my seating angle which I would be fine with as well.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:51 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Superrust
Thanks SoCal, I am looking at the HD Spring Solo. It has that old school vide I'm going for and knowing that it's at least as comfortable if not more than the stock seat is enough for me to feel good about spending the money on it. I don't mind riding a bit higher in the saddle, might even change my seating angle which I would be fine with as well.
Cool deal. I hunted mine down on Ebay and got it for a lot less. Good luck.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:50 AM
Crex39
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I put one on a 1995 Sportster. I had to drill and tap into the frame to get it to mount, as the hardware would not line up with the clamp that it came with. The padding was not as comfy as the solo seat that came with the bike as the seat is much smaller, but the trade off is it looked a lot better. The springs on the seat were a Godsend I realized after a couple of weeks. I generally ride about a 75 mile round trip to work. My lower back felt a lot better. The only draw back is you are where you are on the seat, there is very little area to reposition yourself. All in all, I like it and am glad I installed it.