General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Dollar Helmet Advice

Old 11-03-2013, 08:46 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Default High Dollar Helmet Advice

My wife and I always wear a helmet when riding. We have had many over the years from Fulmer and HJC. We are looking at getting a quality modular helmet. Looking at models from Shoei, Schubert and Nolan. These are expensive and there is no place to try them on here in ND. Any help with the decision would be appreciated.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:15 AM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That's a tough one. i just looked at Cycle Gears locator map. Not only is their not one in your state, but not even in a neighboring state. They do have a 7 day helmet return policy, which can save you from owning something mail order that doesn't work for you. http://www.cyclegear.com/helmetexchange

Also check the manufactures web site for construction and fit recommendations. Here is one of two pages of modular helmets Cycle Gear stock: http://www.cyclegear.com/search/go#w...0modular&asug=

Best of luck!

aka Bob

Last edited by Turbo Turtle; 11-03-2013 at 09:17 AM. Reason: oh, just because
Old 11-03-2013, 09:49 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Buying a helmet blind, is a risk. We didn't know what size my wife wore so we went to a shop and she tried some on. But if there's an online business that will take them back, that's a big advantage.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:08 AM
JaySwear
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have any store within an hour or so I'd say its worth it to go. Modulars are great though! They can actually fit a little more snugly because the chin bar can be up when you put the helmet on, then snapped down into position. Whereas with a full face you have no choice but to shove your head through there

Old 11-03-2013, 10:21 AM
_Daswine_
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OL and I have a Nolan N43, its a 3 piece modular type helmet. It has a detachable chin guard and face shield as well as a smoked pull down internal visor. I like it it as it has 5 different looks and is quick interchange.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:54 AM
HotIceHD
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Buying an helmet online is cheaper, and offer great variety, but it is not easy to get the fit right.
The last helmet I bought, size was off (helmet was best fit for oval shaped heads), and I had to return it.
Thanks to Revzilla and its zero-pain return policies, I was able to get the new size very quickly.
You want to select companies which has similar return policies.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:24 AM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Lazer Monaco modular. It comes with pin lock (prevents fogging) transitional face shield that goes from clear to dark in sunlight, and is the lightest helmets on the market.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:08 PM
TracerBullet
Supporter
Received 5,189 Likes on 2,822 Posts

For what it is worth if I were to do modular it would be the schuberth for sure. It is true it is worth the effort to try one on but I have never heard of a fit problem from someone who owned one

Old 11-03-2013, 04:52 PM
glock221
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Shoei or schuberth. I would take a road trip before I invested 600+ on a modular helmet without trying one on.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:55 PM
FLHTK
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Schuberth is what I use. Tried several modulars and it was the best fit for me. They nseem to fit true to size but it is definetly worth trying one on before you buy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: High Dollar Helmet Advice