General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 02:04 PM
stbob07
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems.

So how can you tell. Really. With all the any clunks ,exhaust , all the other noises that come with owning a harley. I got 31000 ish on my 07 dyna st bob .She runs great . Just curious if there's anything I should be looking for??

Old 11-03-2013, 02:12 PM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 61 Posts

31k is hardly high mileage for an '07.
Now that the '14's are out, that is just a little over 4k miles a year.

If it's running fine and you have no issues I wouldn't worry, just do the suggested maintenance for the mileage on the bike and keep riding.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:46 PM
Dirty Harry
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 530 Posts

If you'd like, checkout the dynaglide forum here and feel free to ask away. There's always riders willing to share things you might need to be aware of.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:48 PM
JaySwear
Road Captain

There's a bit of a joke about how Sportsters have more unique sounds than most other kinds of bikes combined... And, even not being a Sporty, I wouldn't worry TOO much about stuff you hear if the bike is running well. As long as you know the bike's normal sounds. If something new develops then you're allowed to worry.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:21 PM
rodnock
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rule of thumb for me. I know my bike and the usual noises it makes. When you hear something out of that normal range, check it out. Right then and there. Don't put it off.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:37 PM
stbob07
Cruiser

I do all the normal maintenance. Just always see different upgrades, comp sprocket , bearings , how can I tell when or if these things are on there way out.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:45 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Originally Posted by rodnock
Rule of thumb for me. I know my bike and the usual noises it makes. When you hear something out of that normal range, check it out. Right then and there. Don't put it off.
Exactly. I heard a noise coming from my bike and it turned out to be a my compensator going out. Learn the sounds and it'll help you avoid trouble.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:15 PM
rleedeuce
Road Captain
Received 112 Likes on 68 Posts

Your post is a good demonstration why you need to start knowing your Harley with stock restrictive exhausts and get a baseline of what the mechanicals sound like before you move on down the seductive road of "more Harley Sound."

The normal chain whirr of an 88B. The whine of the tranny. the "shuckata-shuckata" of the crank moving those big *ss pistons. Your driveline in action. Memorize it.

As you gain confidence that you KNOW what a Harley is all about then go ahead and add some beef into the exhaust rumble. You should still be able to hear the other noises over the hotrod growl of your bike.

I think of my Harley as one big Symphony of sounds. Each one is music to my ears.

But then again I used to hang out with Hendrix when we both played in R and B bands back in the day. So perhaps my ears are just deeply moved by that whole Harley "Thang."

Whoo-Hoo.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:05 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stbob07
Just curious if there's anything I should be looking for??
Yes, your next road trip route!

Right after you replace the compensator, cam chain tensioner, neck, wheel and cam bearings, transmission gear set, have the crank trued and welded, replace the lifters and push rods, come here and ask which oil might be best, tack weld the shifter onto the shaft (both ends), replace convoluted fuel line in the tank, re-seat the quick disconnect fuel fitting, re-route the breather hose from the heads, come back here and ask which tires might be best and if you can plug them, Replace the bolts for the passenger floorboards and the jiffy stand, replace the dzus fasteners with speed clips and thumb screws, get a harbor freight lift and take pictures when the bike falls off of it, buy every height shield LRS sells to see what you like, sit and wonder why the tranny bangs into gear, endeavor to fix it by changing to shock proof, sit back and wonder why that didn't fix it, install an oil temp guage and focus on it, taking copious notes of any fluctuation, refocus your thoughts on how you can avoid any wind whatsoever on your motorcycle and why it's not as comfortable as your lazyboy, buy road zepplin seat then 3 others to get that lazyboy feel and then sell them on e-bay after it occurs to you that your motorcycle isn't ever going to be that comfortable then create a 20 line long signature documenting everything you've just done to your bike. OR you can wait till something breaks, if it does and then fix it. Simple.

Hang around here long enough and you'll start wondering how anyone gets out of the driveway on their bike!

Old 11-04-2013, 08:45 AM
fdb2007
Road Master

Originally Posted by BoonDock_Saint
Yes, your next road trip route!

Right after you replace the compensator, cam chain tensioner, neck, wheel and cam bearings, transmission gear set, have the crank trued and welded, replace the lifters and push rods, come here and ask which oil might be best, tack weld the shifter onto the shaft (both ends), replace convoluted fuel line in the tank, re-seat the quick disconnect fuel fitting, re-route the breather hose from the heads, come back here and ask which tires might be best and if you can plug them, Replace the bolts for the passenger floorboards and the jiffy stand, replace the dzus fasteners with speed clips and thumb screws, get a harbor freight lift and take pictures when the bike falls off of it, buy every height shield LRS sells to see what you like, sit and wonder why the tranny bangs into gear, endeavor to fix it by changing to shock proof, sit back and wonder why that didn't fix it, install an oil temp guage and focus on it, taking copious notes of any fluctuation, refocus your thoughts on how you can avoid any wind whatsoever on your motorcycle and why it's not as comfortable as your lazyboy, buy road zepplin seat then 3 others to get that lazyboy feel and then sell them on e-bay after it occurs to you that your motorcycle isn't ever going to be that comfortable then create a 20 line long signature documenting everything you've just done to your bike. OR you can wait till something breaks, if it does and then fix it. Simple.

Hang around here long enough and you'll start wondering how anyone gets out of the driveway on their bike!

You seemed to have forgotten checking tire pressure with 3 different gauges

Quick Reply: Problems.