General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Demo Truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 10:40 AM
gatorlaw
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 398 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Harley Demo Truck

So the local dealer had an anniversary party and had the demo truck there for rides on the new scoots. The wife finally got to test drive the nightrod and loved it.

Vrod- I didn't ride. Wife loved.

Ultra- The seat is very comfortable. The infotainment system seems confusing and was not intuitive, would need some time playing with it to make it usable. So I cant rate that. The factory bars, in my opinion, are HORRIBLE. I don't like my wrists bent back like that, the short 8 mile ride was enough with those bars. Bike also felt a little cramped as I could not stretch my legs out like I can on my king (and it has lowers as well). Anyway, I am not ready for a geezer glide yet anyway.

Breakout- I wanted to like this bike because it looks really good. Once I was on it I didn't like it. Felt very small. Again didn't like the bars on this one either, I don't like sitting hunched over. If it fits your riding style, enjoy.

SGS- Nice bike. Felt like more room v. Ultra. The stock bars were tolerable but would be first on my list if I got one. Same deal on the infotainment center as the Ultra. Felt smooth through the turns and felt light on its wheels. Very nice bike.

Fatboy- nothing special from the factory. nice base for mods.

In the end I am happy with my King and it will not be going anywhere any time soon. Maybe a redesigned Road Glide will get me to swap bikes but I don't have that option yet.

For all those with the '14s, you got some nice bikes and like all Harley bikes, they need mods to make them right for the rider (individual).

At the end of the day the wife just had to have the night rod. So I no longer have the switchback and the wife is grinning ear to ear. She got a denim black one. Had them order a new set of pipes so they can put them on before delivery. She is hoping to be able to pick it up Wednesday or Thursday. Pics to come.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:50 AM
Prime Rib
Elite HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts

At the end of the day the wives always like to have "the night rod".

Old 11-04-2013, 10:56 AM
Clayvis
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just curious about the entertainment systems. Were you able to test them out while you did the demo ride? When I did the demo they had all the radios disabled. They had a display fairing set up as a stand alone unit where you could test out the stereo and such. Wonder if it varies by dealer?
Congrats on the new bike.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:57 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,241 Likes on 8,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Prime Rib
At the end of the day the wives always like to have "the night rod".

Don`t argue with the wife, "dicker"....

Old 11-04-2013, 11:32 AM
gatorlaw
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 398 Likes on 124 Posts

The inforainment systems were all up and running for the demo ride. I don't know why they weren't disabled though as it seems to be major safety issue. One guy showed up to ride, must have had a license, but not a bunch of experience, he borrowed one of the half helments they had available. Guy weighed a buck ten max. Grabbed a 3xl helmet, it blew half off his head on the ride. He kept pulling it back up. lol.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:01 PM
Clayvis
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gatorlaw
The inforainment systems were all up and running for the demo ride. I don't know why they weren't disabled though as it seems to be major safety issue. One guy showed up to ride, must have had a license, but not a bunch of experience, he borrowed one of the half helments they had available. Guy weighed a buck ten max. Grabbed a 3xl helmet, it blew half off his head on the ride. He kept pulling it back up. lol.
I hear ya! I did an earlier post about my scary demo ride....Between the inexperienced riders on unfamiliar machines and a few poorly maintained bikes it was enough to convince me not do do "Demo Truck" rides anymore....I'm actually glad the Infotainment systems were disabled....did not need anything else adding to the danger.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:23 PM
Walter White
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 44,494 Likes on 16,318 Posts

Congrats to your wife. The night rod should be fun. I had an 09 Vrod Muscle (red hot sunlgo). I really enjoyed it. It got more compliments than any bike I have owned including the one I have now. I also had more requests for rides on that bike from the ladies than all of the others combined.

When you do take it for a spin, tell us what you think.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:28 PM
Blackfly
Road Master
Received 39 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah - I took the street glide out for a spin - if you can call 47 in a 55 where everybody else goes 65 a spin. They told us to "stay tight" never a good idea in a group like that and kept me from really trying it out. My basic impression is it was a very comfortable ride, although my 6'1" frame jambed me in with my right knee in my chest so I could reach the brake. Info system was on but I couldn't get them to explain it well. Also, the bike felt very sluggish compared to my 103 wideglide.
But it rode and sounded great.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:37 PM
Blackfly
Road Master
Received 39 Likes on 6 Posts

I think I'll find the next demo ride so I can blow by them on my WG, haha.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:38 PM
Buckinfitch
Supporter
Received 4,081 Likes on 1,514 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter White
The night rod should be fun. I really enjoyed it. It got more compliments than any I one I have now. I also had more from the ladies than all of the others combined.
fixed it...

Quick Reply: Harley Demo Truck