General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Bad Boots

Old 11-05-2013, 11:49 AM
Lucky Doug
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Help with Bad Boots

I bought these boots to wear when I am riding in cooler weather. They looked pretty good and had what looked like a good sole but when I went for my first ride I could not keep my feet on the pegs. I tried everything including pigeon toed knees but they came off the pegs like there was chicken **** on them and I am sure a few of you know how slick chicken **** can be. I could not get home fast enough.

I was thinking on the way home that I could just rough up the new surface and make them stick but now I am not so sure. I am wondering if anybody out there in HD land might have had a similiar problem and has a fix or if anybody might just have some suggestions. My thought now is instead of sanding the sole that I should try some no slip on them.
Amazon.com: TeachersTape ® - No-Slip Tape - No Slip Foam Surface Tape With Permanent Backed Adhesive Pieces/Pad: Office Products Amazon.com: TeachersTape ® - No-Slip Tape - No Slip Foam Surface Tape With Permanent Backed Adhesive Pieces/Pad: Office Products

BTW, these boots are ROADWOLF brand. I emailed the company that does the marketing and in spite of advertising that you can "get on your Harley" with these, they haven't bothered to return my email.

Thank for your ideas in advance!

Old 11-05-2013, 11:54 AM
piper59
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 625 Posts

Velcro............or rough em up on some rough concrete.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Harlie Rider
Road Master
Received 93 Likes on 54 Posts

Take a ride out to the nearest Wally World. Go into the shoe section. There they have some small rubber non-slip pads for ladies shoe soles. Very thin, just peel the backing off and stick them where the sole of the boot will fit on the footpeg.
Be sure and clean the sole of the boot good where you intend to stick the pads.
I used to put these pads on my daughter's dress shoes when she was doing the beauty pageant thing. They work really well.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:51 PM
Big Boz
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Skateboard grip tape. Comes in any color you want and holds on to most surfaces very well.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:37 AM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Chippewa.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:25 AM
Lucky Doug
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought about the non slip option but afraid the adhesive would give way since it would be under constant pressure and movement. Confirmed this with the cobbler.

I guess folks that are smarter than me would have asked opinions on here about the better options on riding boots. It would have been worth another $50 bucks to have them work right out of the box.

Yep, I took the ol side grinder to my brand new boots. Going to try them out today. If it is not good enough at least I will have a better surface for the non slip to stick to.

Thanks again.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:44 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I can't see the original photo. Link not working. But I would either return them, or take them to a cobbler to fit Vibram soles to them.

When my engineers wore out at the sole, took em to a good cobbler for the Vibrams. No slipping now:

Old 11-06-2013, 12:04 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

Vibram soles are your best bet. But if you want to try something to stick on the soles get a piece of non-slip stair tread material and trim to size. At most hardware stores and they are intended to hold up to a lot of weather and abuse.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:13 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

have U tired to return them where U bought them.?

Old 11-06-2013, 04:43 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
have U tired to return them where U bought them.?

Originally Posted by Lucky Doug

Yep, I took the ol side grinder to my brand new boots. Going to try them out today. If it is not good enough at least I will have a better surface for the non slip to stick to.
kinda hard to do when you've 'modified' them in such a way....

your link doesn't work, but in doing a google search, the only thing i can find on their website that mentions 'harley' is the road warrior harness boots, and you can clearly see that the bottoms are smooth (like cowboy boots). there is no way you're gonna get any traction with smooth soled boots. best bet: resole them puppies, if the fit and comfort is any good. otherwise, cut your losses.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with Bad Boots