General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reaction to water cooling on big twins

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 07:59 PM
DivineDark
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Reaction to water cooling on big twins

Just wanted to test the pulse of the faithful. With all of the talk about the new bikes possibly being the future of the harley big twin, how do you feel about the possibility of the heritage, fat boy, or new dynas being loaded up with a modern water cooled engine?

The engine will probably sound similar to the vrod, and not the iconic harley sound. Then there's the radiator changing the overall look of the bikes.

There's a lot of rumbling about the EPA regs basically pushing all air cooled engines out of the market.

Personally, I'm kinda worried. I'm no traditionalist, but as a new buyer in the cruiser market, I have primarily been looking at victory and harley bikes. I've been leaning toward harley because of the feel of the bikes, the ample aftermarket, dealer network, and the stability of the company. I just don't want to drop the cash on a bike only to find that the model is dead two years later and the focus of the company and after market companies shifted to the new revo bikes.

This would be the death of Indian, victory, and harley in my eyes. Maybe I'm reading too far into this, but I'm still gun shy after buying a new Buell three weeks before harley killed it. Now I have a bike that I love with no support and little to no parts available. I just don't want to be there again. I get the urge to start looking at other alternatives without the impending doom of their power plants.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:06 PM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DivineDark
Just wanted to test the pulse of the faithful. With all of the talk about the new bikes possibly being the future of the harley big twin, how do you feel about the possibility of the heritage, fat boy, or new dynas being loaded up with a modern water cooled engine?

The engine will probably sound similar to the vrod, and not the iconic harley sound. Then there's the radiator changing the overall look of the bikes.

There's a lot of rumbling about the EPA regs basically pushing all air cooled engines out of the market.

Personally, I'm kinda worried. I'm no traditionalist, but as a new buyer in the cruiser market, I have primarily been looking at victory and harley bikes. I've been leaning toward harley because of the feel of the bikes, the ample aftermarket, dealer network, and the stability of the company. I just don't want to drop the cash on a bike only to find that the model is dead two years later and the focus of the company and after market companies shifted to the new revo bikes.

This would be the death of Indian, victory, and harley in my eyes. Maybe I'm reading too far into this, but I'm still gun shy after buying a new Buell three weeks before harley killed it. Now I have a bike that I love with no support and little to no parts available. I just don't want to be there again. I get the urge to start looking at other alternatives without the impending doom of their power plants.
if i lived in houston and had to commute during rush hour i'd sure like a water cooled bike. especially in the aug when its 100+ deg in the shade.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:16 PM
simpkinst
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DivineDark

Why do you care if the model is "dead" in a couple of years?

This makes no sense to me. I don't know anyone that owns a low rider or night train that gives two ***** they are no longer made.

If anything it makes them more desirable.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:24 PM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by simpkinst

This makes no sense to me. I don't know anyone that owns a low rider or night train that gives two ***** they are no longer made.

bikes that only have limited production runs have crappy aftermarket support. this is not generally the case for harleys. but is very true for every other mfg out there.

theres also the fact that for most vehicles, a favorably received major design change adversely affects resale of previous models.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:30 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

I don't think the new water heads are all that bad looking. Personally I never buy the first model year of a vehicle that has had major mechanical/technological changes made to it. No matter how good the engineering is, that first year will always reveal problems that didn't show up in testing. I'd wait a year, or two, until they get all the major bugs worked out.

Has there been any substantial evidence that the new water heads actually do allow the bike to run cooler?

Old 11-06-2013, 08:30 PM
DivineDark
Road Captain

Originally Posted by slozomby
bikes that only have limited production runs have crappy aftermarket support. this is not generally the case for harleys. but is very true for every other mfg out there.

theres also the fact that for most vehicles, a favorably received major design change adversely affects resale of previous models.
This...

And we arent talking a dead model like the night train. They still had the same drive train of their counter parts, just different styling. This would be a platform overhaul that would leave the aircooled bikes to history.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:33 PM
DivineDark
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Deucedog
I don't think the new water heads are all that bad looking. Personally I never buy the first model year of a vehicle that has had major mechanical/technological changes made to it. No matter how good the engineering is, that first year will always reveal problems that didn't show up in testing. I'd wait a year, or two, until they get all the major bugs worked out.

Has there been any substantial evidence that the new water heads actually do allow the bike to run cooler?
Only the people that are riding them stating theyre cooler running.

Im more talking about a punched out revo x type motor, as opposed to the current water head setup.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:17 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by simpkinst

Goes for the Deuce too, I don't give 2 *****, maybe even 3 ***** it's no longer made.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:43 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

The twin cooled will not remotely sound like a Vrod. The twin cooled engine only has the coolant circle in a tube around the exhaust valve area which is the hottest spot in the motor.

In all ways it is mostly an air cooled, push rod motor as it has been for decades. Just more compression, more potent cam, better intake, lighter piston and has a solid uptick in power over the 13's. What is not to like about that?

Can't wait to get one. Just have to find some room for it. Twin cooling is the future. Air cooling is dead for European imports in 2015 as they are moving to what they call Tier 3 regulations. The US is not changing motorcycle emissions for 2015 with a big BUT!! They are considering moving heavy weight bikes into the class that includes cars. That would be a game changer that would make Twin cooling insufficient.

Can't find it right now but recently it was posted what the head temp difference was between the 2013 103 and the 14. But logic alone would dictate that the head with water cooling would be lower. DUH!!!

Note: Buell parts and support are still available at the HD/Buell dealers. Just bought a clutch cable. Parts counter guy walked back and pulled off the shelf. They have 4 years to go on their contracts with dealers to supply parts. It is a Sportster engine for gods sake.

The OP's concerns are without merit or foundation in fact.

Last edited by lh4x4; 11-06-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:10 AM
Crimson
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

The people who use Harley's marketing terms in their posts remind me of the Apple drones who repeat things like 'retina' when referring to the resolution of a screen. Its not 'twin cooling' its WATER cooling.. Its not INFOTAINMENT its a freaking radio and GPS..

Quick Reply: Reaction to water cooling on big twins