General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winterizing Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 08:47 PM
MikeK02048
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Winterizing Question

If I keep my battery on a battery tender over the winter, do I have to remeove the battery from the bike and keep it warm? Last year I did and put it in my basement because I live in the northeast and my garage gets as cold as the outside.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:13 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will be fine in the bike with the battery tender connected.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:20 PM
Wheels24
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I leave all of mine in the bikes...my garage isn't quite as cold as the outside, but gets close...haven't ever had a problem.

Don't forget the StaBil in the gas tank (and run through the fuel system)...and remember that StaBil has a 2-year shelf life...which I learned the hard way.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:36 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

You can leave the battery in the bike, as long as the tender is plugged into the battery it will keep the battery good.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:57 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeK02048
If I keep my battery on a battery tender over the winter, do I have to remeove the battery from the bike and keep it warm? Last year I did and put it in my basement because I live in the northeast and my garage gets as cold as the outside.
I bring mine inside...should the tender or power to the tender go out, it's possible to freeze the battery and crack its case. Sucks to find out the next spring that your battery cracked and leaked acid onto the bike.

Yes, the cases are rugged but it only takes me about 3 minutes to remove the battery from my UC.

Removing the battery also gives me a chance to clean the connections and apply grease.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:42 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I had bought a battery tender last year but we had a mild winter and I never used it. But when I've seen bike with them, the battery is still in the bike.

I was always wondering if it should be unplugged, to keep from frying any electrical stuff.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:32 AM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheels24
I leave all of mine in the bikes...my garage isn't quite as cold as the outside, but gets close...haven't ever had a problem.

Don't forget the StaBil in the gas tank (and run through the fuel system)...and remember that StaBil has a 2-year shelf life...which I learned the hard way.
This is why I use Sea Foam. Sea Foam not only stabilizes the gas, but come Spring when you start riding, this stuff will clean your carb or injectors.

I've heard about guys having jelling problems because of old Stabil.....a real mess to clean afterwards. JMO

Old 11-09-2013, 10:18 AM
Chicago Fan 33
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im out now, weather to be near 60 and I am doing the winter crap because last year I waited too long and froze my *** off riding to the gas station and putting about 25 hwy miles on it @ 20dgs. I always wondered about shelf life of Stabil,thx for the info....

Old 11-09-2013, 11:48 AM
Wheels24
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HDmikie
This is why I use Sea Foam. Sea Foam not only stabilizes the gas, but come Spring when you start riding, this stuff will clean your carb or injectors.

I've heard about guys having jelling problems because of old Stabil.....a real mess to clean afterwards. JMO
Yep...I ended up rebuilding carb's in 6 bikes one spring (3 dirt bikes; 3 street bikes)...none would idle...wondered why all 6 had green funk in them. Did some research and found the StaBil shelf life info...which is also printed on the bottle...but I never read the fine print. Went and looked at my bottle...3+years old...crap. I replace my supply every two years now and haven't had a problem.

One other factor is that we can no longer get Ethanol-free gas here in Maryland. Our gas is crap after sitting for 30 days in anything. Seems like we used to leave gas in stuff year 'round (lawn mowers, etc.) and the things would start and run anytime. Not anymore...

Old 11-09-2013, 09:59 PM
Tedjay
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I leave the battery in the bike and plug the tender into the pigtail. My garage is typically 10-15 degrees in the winter (sometimes colder), but I haven't had any battery issues.

Quick Reply: Winterizing Question