General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Partners that ride !

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 10:58 AM
ultralimited64
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Partners that ride !

Who has a significant other (wife, girl friend, etc.) that rides their own bike or rides on the back seat and loves it ?

I must say I have 1 of a kind, my wife and I have only been married sent Aug 2013 while on our Sturgis Vacation. We rode a pair of 2012 Limited's 4,130 miles in 15 days and covered 11 states. We slept in a tent, a motel and a bed & breakfast. We rode 824 miles in 14 hours, we rode in the August heat, mouintain cold and in the rain. Without a complaint from her.

We have been riding together for 9 years, she has 26 years experence on over 14 motorcycles, she has had 6 HD Ultra Classic's & 2 Goldwings. I have been riding for over 50 years and have had 19 motorcycle.

We have riden so much together that we think a like, we are so spoiled that we radley make trips with other riders because they just can't hang with us. We push gas stops to as close to 200 miles as the gas places will allow.

Our next 2 trips are in the planning stage now, Christmas we ride to southwest Texas, (Corpus & Brownsville maybe to Carlsbad, NM). In Sept. we are planning a trip from Houston to New York City (just because we can).

I am the luckest man to have a wife that enjoys my passion for riding. What about you?

Old 11-21-2013, 11:24 AM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

Hey Neighbor! I'm in Highlands, just north of you.

Beast and I started riding together in the early 70's before we got married. That old '52 panhead was our only transportation for 5-6 years. Then life got in the way and we started riding again last spring. He has a 2003 Softail Standard custom and I have a 2012 Fat Boy Lo. I've taken several long trips with others, he usually can't get off work for more than a weekend. But like you say, we've ridden together enough that we think alike and know what the other is gonna do. That has really spoiled me for riding with anyone else. I do it but don't prefer it!

We're also planning a trip somewhere in December, haven't decided where exactly.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:35 AM
Oxford
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know man. Matching Ultras is kinda like matching sweaters or matching ski jackets!

My Wife started riding this year. To be honest, it scares the hell out of me. But she's doing very well and now she knows the feeling of piloting her own bike.

It's awesome that you two can share that experience. We're working on some trips next season.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:37 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 557 Likes on 308 Posts

Do you have matching payments or did you convince her to make your payment?

Old 11-21-2013, 11:41 AM
zyonsdream
Tourer

I've ridden some form of two wheeled, three wheeled or four wheeler since I was a small child but my wife never ride a bike until I got my Deluxe this year. Since her first ride, she has become addicted! She wants to learn but really loves being the co-pilot. I got her a 1988 1200 sportster that we have torn apart in our living room right now so we can update gaskets and change it to her liking. Not sure if she will turn into a life time rider but she absolutely loves being on the back of mine.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:48 AM
Tunafisher
Cruiser

Ride all the time with my wife on the back. That is why we have an SG. She practically forced me to buy it, was tired of riding on the back of my Interceptor and wanted more comfort and range. We used to do "fly and rides" renting in places like Vegas for dessert rides, San Francisco to tour northern Cali etc. One trip, she spent 5 days and 2100 miles doing a loop that took us from Vegas to Green River, UT to Mexican Hat, UT then down through Navajo nation in AZ, back up through Page and eventually back to Vegas via Zion. Renting was a great way to decide which HD I/we wanted.

She also has her own ride which is a Honda Shadow. I wanted to upgrade her to a small HD but she would rather be on the back with me.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:49 AM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife rides her own and she just recently sold her '98 Softail to buy a new '13 Breakout. She's been riding her own for about 12 years now, most of it with the two of us together. We've ridden in large packs and small packs, but the most fun we have is with just the two of us.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:56 AM
FreddyP
Tourer

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

The wife rode thousands of miles with me two-up on an old 03 EG, including a Top of the World ride through Canada and Alaska in the rain. She decided that she wanted to ride her own bike if that was something we planned to do in retirement. Even though she was the oldest in her MSF class, she finished it with no problems and got her endorsement. She's on her third bike now, a Yamaha 950 Tourer, which fits her perfectly (we say she's in-seam challenged instead of short). We've done runs to San Antonio and Spokane out of Sin City. Really consider myself lucky that she seems to enjoy the riding and has already logged over 25K miles on her rides!

Old 11-21-2013, 01:19 PM
1hogbiker
Novice
Default 2 up riding?

The wife and i ride as much as we can. We have limited vacation time to travel,but when we do, we try to hold it down to 600mi. days! We find 800mi. days are a little too long to enjoy as we would really like! We are living on the east coast & find that a lot of the places we want to travel to are out west, so that makes for long trips! We are always planning new trips!

Last edited by 1hogbiker; 11-21-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:41 PM
LeadSSled
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

My wife got her license about a year and a half ago. She put 4K miles on a Honda Rebel in 15 months and moved up to a Softail Heritage Classic in late September of this year. We have not made a long bike trip yet but have ridden many miles throughout East TN together.

Quick Reply: Partners that ride !