General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For all you tired of the snow. Nice ride up the PCH (hwy 1) today! About 70*'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 11:47 AM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
It's interesting how people from other states feel the need to bad mouth California. Just like non Harley riders feel the need to bad mouth Harleys.

The same thing drives both: jealousy.

I've been to your state and spent time in it. Doubt you've ever been to California. Plenty of bad things I could say about Georgia, having actually seen them first hand.

But I don't feel the need to **** on where other people live on a message board.

Those southern "manners" rarely seem to show up here. Why not just say "nice pics" and move on?

Originally Posted by Harley_Charley
**** I live in San Diego and don't even get that kinda of a view when I ride. Just googled how far that is from me and it's far. Bummer, beautiful ride. Thanks for sharing.
We have some great rides down here, too. The Ortega (CA-74) isn't too far away, and there are some amazing views around Palomar Mountain. PCH is definitely on my wish list, but San Diego and Riverside counties are pretty awesome, too.

Thanks for the pics Soft02!

Last edited by SquidHead; 12-01-2013 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Forgot to say thanks.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:53 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,254 Likes on 11,139 Posts

Originally Posted by aces&8s
Say hey to the women in Hermosa Beach for me.
I was there yesterday...they all say hey back to ya!

Old 12-01-2013, 11:57 AM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

It's interesting how people from other states feel the need to bad mouth California. Just like non Harley riders feel the need to bad mouth Harleys.

I've been to your state and spent time in it. Doubt you've ever been to California. Plenty of bad things I could say about Georgia, having actually seen them first hand.

But I don't feel the need to **** on where other people live on a message board.
Not to mention the misconceptions. The loudest ones come from people who live in states that (until recently) had to smog motorcycles and even street driven ATV's (Arizona). Have to have their bikes safety inspected every year and get a sticker put on it (Texas and a whole slew of others). Have laws against handle bars higher than shoulder height (more than I can list here) and where it's illegal to lane split (nearly every other state).

I was born and raised here. My dad did his basic at Fort Ord (after being raised in upstate New York) and came back after Korea.

There are a lot of downsides to living here, mainly from the left wing political machine but they also are workable. I live in a Republican county which freely issues CCW's. I don't worry about getting cited for pipes or other mods. And even though there is a helmet law, the CHP policy specifically prohibits officers for citing for Non-DOT helmets. They can only cite for no helmet or something that is not a motorcycle helmet.

The taxes are high but my wife and I (with our high school diplomas) made great money working for different companies here. I retired at 56. I can live anywhere I want. We will never have to work again. We could not have done that in many other states. We suffered through the taxes (which BTW were only about 15% of what we paid in Federal taxes) while we made over 250K a year in great jobs that we loved.

I know many people that left and moved to Idaho, Arizona, and Tennessee and Texas. Most came back after a few years.

Going to do a toy run today. Temp will be near 70. I can get on my bike and be in Lake Tahoe or the Napa Valley in an hour. Bottom line, I will never leave.

Last edited by dribble; 12-01-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:00 PM
wyndnface
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,131 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Dec 1st heading up to Nevada City today, amazing!

Nice pics

Last edited by wyndnface; 12-01-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:05 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,834 Likes on 17,453 Posts

It is funny , took me 2 years of not working a real job when I first moved out here to ride most the roads in the northern part of this state I had on a bucket list and I know there's at least 3 times as many yet to be discovered awsome bike rides out here I didn't find south of Mammoth Mountain down to the border . Haters gonna hate ..........

Like Lou said the sunshine tax isn't that bad

Old 12-01-2013, 12:08 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,254 Likes on 11,139 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
This time of year is the best. No coastal fog and in the 70s generally.
Hey soft 02! Great pictures!

I Did most of the Oregon side (101) when we lived in Portland. Now that we live in CA, and I now have a lot of time in my hands am looking forward to doing the entire CA PCH. Your pictures have certainly wet my appetite.

You mentioned this is a good time of year. Thanks for the tip. We get the May gray, and June gloom. But typically, except for occassionally some rain, Early spring is ok in San Diego,. How is that time on the PCH?

Old 12-01-2013, 02:02 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

May and June are a crap shoot. Could be 100* at my house and 60* with dense fog at the coast. And different parts of the coast get different weather. I can sit at the pier in Cayucos and watch the fog roll in at Morro Bay while I'm in the sun and they are only a few miles apart.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:17 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
May and June are a crap shoot. Could be 100* at my house and 60* with dense fog at the coast. And different parts of the coast get different weather. I can sit at the pier in Cayucos and watch the fog roll in at Morro Bay while I'm in the sun and they are only a few miles apart.
That's an understatement. We left the Sacramento area for the Hollister Rally on the morning of July fourth. By noon it was 108 degrees. After getting over Pacheco pass it was 80. On July 5th we rode from Hollister to Monterey. The temp on the wharf when we got there was 59. It was 105 in Sacramento. My wife bought a sweatshirt there for the trip back.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:23 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Round here if you don't like the weather drive for 10 minutes.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:39 PM
DAVENRINO
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley_Charley
**** I live in San Diego and don't even get that kinda of a view when I ride. Just googled how far that is from me and it's far. Bummer, beautiful ride. Thanks for sharing.
It also takes longer than it looks due to all the twisties and nice viewpoints on PCH Noth of SanFran. It took us almost 9 hours to go bout 300 miles from Monterey to Ft Bragg in a day.

Quick Reply: For all you tired of the snow. Nice ride up the PCH (hwy 1) today! About 70*'s