General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it a good idear to run the bike with the gas shut off till it stalls for winteriz

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 09:13 AM
Smartbass
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it a good idear to run the bike with the gas shut off till it stalls for winteriz

I got a 2001 wide glide I changed the oil filled the gas put stabilizer in it shut the gas off ran it till it stalled took both plugs out sprayed fogging oil down the cylinder turned it over a bit and put the plugs back in brought it in the house
I was on the fence about draining the gas(running it till it stalled)most said to do it like that
I should be stored for the most 4 months

Old 12-01-2013, 09:23 AM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

I would pinch off the fuel line with hose pliers, drain the carb bowls using the drain in the bowls, and then pull the plugs and put a couple of squirts of oil in and crank. put the plugs back in, cover the air cleaner with a plastic bag, cork up the exhaust. that keeps moisture from getting past any partially open valves and into the combustion chamber. If you can get one cylinder on TDC so the valves are closed that is a plus

Old 12-01-2013, 09:36 AM
triumph900
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

I do this with my old Trumph. I put Sta-Bil in the tank and then start the bike and turn off the gas and run it dry.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:27 AM
havenolife
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

put sta-bil in gas take ride to gastation fill it too the top and park it good to go

Old 12-01-2013, 10:29 AM
Donny
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just fill my tank, ride it into the garage, shut off ignition, and shut off gas. Been doing it this way for 20 years, and no problems. I used Sta-bil one time in ALL my stored cans and vehicles, and had to clean and rebuild EVERY carb, and dispose of ALL the gas. What a Pain in the a$$.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:47 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

On a carbed bike it empties the bowls. Some say this prevents gum from building up in the carb. Maybe maybe not. But if the fuel is gravity fed make sure to turn off the fuel.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:08 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree, on older carbed bikes. Shut the fuel off and run it dry. Did that with every bike I had, in the old days, when putting it up for the night. Not just in winter.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:43 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually drain the tank and the carb of anything I am parking for over a month if it is practical. I also spray a light fogging oil into the tank. Any time I park the bike with a carb I shut off the fuel **** and let it run dry.

Old 12-01-2013, 01:43 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,210 Likes on 1,380 Posts

If the float bowls are clean, I'd shut off the gas but leave clean fuel in the carbs to prevent gasket and seal shrinkage and to prevent any sediment from drying and sticking to the inside of the float chamber(s). If you're worried about float failure and engine flooding, you should rebuild or replace the fuel petcock(s). Fuel tanks should always be topped off because rust in the fuel system is a PITA.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:26 PM
HarleyGTP
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 42 Posts

Older bikes, definitely. You don't want the ethanol sitting around, BAD BUSINESS, even with sta-bil. I've seen it eat through aluminum carb bowls on a few lawnmowers :O

But other than this, we are only talking about storing for a couple months, no? I wouldn't go to crazy unless it's going to be long term.

Quick Reply: Is it a good idear to run the bike with the gas shut off till it stalls for winteriz