General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding in Mexico.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 06:10 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Riding in Mexico.

Question for anyone who has ever done or heard about riding through Mexico.

A friend of mine who is of Hispanic Descent and speaks fluent Spanish wants to ride with his father who is also Hispanic descent down to Mexico City next year.

Both would love to take the trip. My friend asked me to ask anyone on the boards what if any experiences they may have had doing such a trip. Their concerns are not a language one but they are concerned about road conditions, possibly being robbed or worse on such a trip. I know people have taken this trip before and I think that most of the horrors of riding in Mexico maybe either made up or totally screwd.

[align=left][/align]

Old 03-17-2007, 06:45 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Riding in Mexico.

I just returned from a trip to Mexico.We went down theBaja right to Cabo San Lucas and came back up to around La Paz area crossed over to mainland Mexico by ferry andback upinto the states through Nogels. It was a great trip.

The roads were quite good.We pretty much stayed on the main hwys. My hubby had been there last winter with some buddies, and said they were even inbetter shape than then. Lots of road repair and construction, so they are working on them. I didn't find them that bad at all. There were spots and stretchesof coursethat were pretty rough, but for the most part, they were great. One thing that made me feel uneasy about the roads were the lack of paved shoulders. Mostly you'll find gravel often with a deep drop off from the pavement. There are still lots of pull offs, but its usually onto gravel.

I read (in some travel brochures) that you had to be careful riding at night, and found that it is true ... very, very true. It really is not recommended. Not because you have to worry about getting mugged, but because of the wildlife mostly. It tends to get quite cold at night and the cattle and donkeys like to lay on the warm asphalt. They run free pretty much everywhere.

The policia, are another unfortunate hazard. It don't know if they are like this everywhere in Mexico, but down around the Cabo San Lucas area, they are famous for robbing unsuspecting tourists at gun point. They will arrest you for suspicion of drugs, take you into a back alley and take your money.Even witnessed it, so it's very true.

Other than that, the people were friendly and above all I have to praise the road etiquette. We travelled with 3 bikes (4 people), and were quite impressed at the courtesy ofotherdrivers. They could see we were travelling together and often would let us into traffic easily, never tried splitting us up when passing, and would wait until we all crossed an intersection together.I have to give them credit for that.

I had a problem with the lack of emissions control, too. The vehicles that are on these hwys are often without mufflers, or functioning exhaust systems. Often got behind trucks or even cars for that matter with billowing black smoke. Yuck ... that part was definately not so great! They often drive at night with no lights either ... so be careful of that. Stops signs are just a suggestion that you stop. They usually just slow down and roll through. Everybody waits their turn, and again, are quite courteous.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Old 03-17-2007, 07:34 PM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We did it approx 20 yrs ago, two couples on two bikes. Came down from Omaha NE to Colorado toNew Mexico to Chiwauwa Mexico(can't spell that dog breed'sname) then over to Texas and back up to Omaha NE. How this long ago applies to today I'm not sure but here are some things that I remember well.

We went thru some government check stations where the inspectors would always completelyempty our bikes laggage on to the grass then hold out their hand and say, "a tip for our services please". You better tip them well. We found the traffic dangerous, likesmokey diesel buses going 90 MPH on narrow paved roadsconstantly passing us andsqueezing us to the roads edge. Wewere doing 70-80 trying to stay ahead of themand yettrying not to get a speeding ticket as advised by others before we took the trip. During overnight stays at very small,poverty stricken littlevillage's motels,we alwayswoke up in the mourning surprised to see ourbikes still there, always seen people peeking around corners watching us as we pulled in, even the Policia. Seems like they were always cleaning up after an autoaccident somewhere and all the graves in the ditches were kind of grim reminders to pay attention. Due to the July heat we always hit the road at 5AM and shut down at 12-1PM. We had to really watch our fuel because these remote areas were hit and miss if villages hadPetro stations. We were always concerned about a bike break down there, may have hadtobuy a donkey to get back out of some of those remote areas. We stopped at a Stop (Alto) sign and this kid comes running out with a piece of dry newspaper who insisted on wiping our windshields for a tip like he does for cars and trucks all the time. So then we had trouble driving into the sun from there on. I could go on and on because more things are popping into my mind now that I'm reliving it but I'll quit here, save it for my book.

I'm sure it varies as to where you tour there like any country, the scenery was great but when we got back safe and soundwe all stated, "I'm glad we did it but would never do it again."

Old 03-17-2007, 10:34 PM
oldbikenut
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your insurance to be sure you are covered if you go.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:36 PM
fatboy44
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stay on main roads, carry cash and BE CAREFUL!

Old 03-17-2007, 10:53 PM
Bear64
Banned

Why would anybody want to go to a 3rd world country where the policia rob you and check stations want a bribe to let you through..never lost anything in Mexico, in fact I got some neighbors I would like to send back down there..No, way to much to see in this country, don't need that kind of crap in my life. I would never go there.[:'(]

Old 03-18-2007, 04:29 AM
O6FXST
Road Captain

This one is easy...DON'T DO IT!

Rick

Old 03-18-2007, 05:00 AM
FXR
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

crossed the border several times in my life. several times in the seventies it was wild. there this on little town in Saranta mia or something like that that was like the wild west we would raise hell in that town and that was just like an everyday thing there. anything goes

Old 03-18-2007, 06:31 AM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mexico is great.

make sure your passport is in order. get the supplimental insurance. know where you're going (that means get the maps and plan properly).

dont let the more _timid_ people on this forum disuade you. lots of people who are too afraid to leave their own backyard are more than willing to tell you to stay home.

mexico is a blast. its not a HOG meeting, so if youre expecting someone to hold your hand, think again. i have had nothing but great times in mexico, and have been treated very well there.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:19 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: ironxl

Check your insurance to be sure you are covered if you go.
The Mexican government does not and will not recognize any American insurance. It doesn't matter if your insurance company tells you that they will cover you 100 or 200 or whatever miles into Mexico. IT DOESN'T MATTER. You are uninsured as far as Mexico is concerned and will go to jail even if you have an accident that is totally NOT your fault. Buy Mexican insurance. That's the only say around the issue.

Quick Reply: Riding in Mexico.