General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seafoam question

Old 01-26-2014, 05:41 PM
07ntrain
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Seafoam question

Im looking at doing a seafoam treatment on my bike, ive read alot about it but looking for some more info from people who have used it. My bike sits alot, its a 2007 with 8000Mi on it and it sits every year from oct to april and during the riding months it sits 3 weeks at a time as my work schedule is 3 weeks on and 3 weeks off, it has been wanting to stall out on me last summer occasionally and i would need to rev it to keep it running, i put some seafoam motor treatment in the tank before storage but havent used it in the engine at all and not sure if the motor treatment is used in the intake or if its the seafoam spray(stuff that comes with the long hose) i can get the stuff for free so im wondering if the spray or the motor treatment goes into the intake, thanks.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:48 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

Sounds like what you need to do is fill the gas tank with fresh gas, a dose of the foam, then burn thru a tank or two to clean out the crud that's plugging up your injectors. I wouldn't bother putting it in your oil. With your low mileage there's nothing to clean.,,

Old 01-26-2014, 05:56 PM
Mercyfulfate
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
Sounds like what you need to do is fill the gas tank with fresh gas, a dose of the foam, then burn thru a tank or two to clean out the crud that's plugging up your injectors. I wouldn't bother putting it in your oil. With your low mileage there's nothing to clean.,,
and there you have it. best answer I could have thought of.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:22 PM
07ntrain
Tourer

In the spring before i ride i usually drain out about 3/4 of the gas that was sitting all winter and run supreme in it all summer during riding season, the hesitation and rough idle started atn the end of the season, i will run some new gas through with the seafoam motor treatment when all this snow is gone but wasnt sure if the seafoam spray was worth putting in the intake or even safe for it.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:38 PM
kirbyblue
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

foam it and ride.. next year put some sta-bil in it and make sure to run it to get it in all the gas before you store it. that new gas is bad in a few weeks.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:46 PM
07ntrain
Tourer

Originally Posted by kirbyblue
foam it and ride.. next year put some sta-bil in it and make sure to run it to get it in all the gas before you store it. that new gas is bad in a few weeks.
I do put stabil in before storage but it sits so long and then during riding season it sits 3 weeks at a time all over again, have you ever tried the spray into the intake or just the fuel?

Old 01-26-2014, 09:15 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

this is good advice, i run sea foam in my bike year round.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:59 PM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 07ntrain
I do put stabil in before storage but it sits so long and then during riding season it sits 3 weeks at a time all over again, have you ever tried the spray into the intake or just the fuel?
Yes, I've done it. I actually looked into the cylinders with a borescope before and after. The difference was underwhelming. It sounds like you may need to clean your idle air valve. Don't let me talk you out of doing the combustion chamber cleaning, it can't hurt, but for me, it didn't help much. I've decided that the "instant gratification" method may be hard to attain, so I'm going after the slow maintenance process.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:36 AM
ga.mason
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clean your throttle body neck and butterfly. Take a shop towel and wet it good with the seafoam and clean the crud of your intake neck. Then crack the throttel wide open and clean both sides of the butterfly. Crank it up and mist a little of the seafoam while gently holding the revs up. All hessitation will be gone. Not something a lot of folks do , but i learned of this with the Victory I used to own and tried it on the HD when I had around 7500 miles on it. Made a very noticeable diffrence in the idle and all hesitation was gone. Try it youll see.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:16 AM
07ntrain
Tourer

Originally Posted by ga.mason
Clean your throttle body neck and butterfly. Take a shop towel and wet it good with the seafoam and clean the crud of your intake neck. Then crack the throttel wide open and clean both sides of the butterfly. Crank it up and mist a little of the seafoam while gently holding the revs up. All hessitation will be gone. Not something a lot of folks do , but i learned of this with the Victory I used to own and tried it on the HD when I had around 7500 miles on it. Made a very noticeable diffrence in the idle and all hesitation was gone. Try it youll see.
Ok thanks , ill try that, and what seafoam product are you spraying into the intake, is it the motor treatment or the seafoam spray?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Seafoam question