General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oregon riders, what's the best cold/rainy gear to have?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 08:23 AM
CrazyBones
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Oregon riders, what's the best cold/rainy gear to have?

I know that this has been debated in other threads but I am looking to do a lot more riding and living around the Portland, OR area I had better plan on picking up some gear for rain and cold. I have been going crazy trying to decide what would work better for me, a good set of chaps or overpants. I know there are a lot of good textile options but I prefer leather. I would just like the perspective of bikers who ride in the same area that I do.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:50 AM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

FXRG Textile jacket and pants with a heated liner or vest will provide great protection and warmth.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:58 AM
Hell Fire Hog
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My raingear has windsheild wipers.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:30 PM
Damn_Yankee
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never been to portland, but I've got a pair of HD Centrifuge overpants; Harley doesn't sell them anymore, but they're your basic textile, insulated, waterproof overpants. I also have chaps.

overpants pros: warmer than chaps; when it rains your crotch doesn't get drenched
overpants cons: take up twice the space on the bike when you're not wearing them; makes you look like a downhill skier

chaps pros: take up less space in the saddlebags; makes you look like a hardcore, badass biker
chaps cons: your crotch gets drenched when it rains; not as warm as overpants; and your croth gets drenched when it rains

I use both; the deciding factor as to which I use on any given day is a delicate balance between the odds of it raining, and the odds of it getting warm enough that I'm going to have to take them off and find a place to put them.

Hope that helps.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:47 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,178 Likes on 11,108 Posts

Make sure check the Aerostich catalog. I have a Roadcrafter one-piece, great riding suit.
http://www.aerostich.com/

Old 02-22-2014, 09:22 PM
CrazyBones
Road Captain

I use both; the deciding factor as to which I use on any given day is a delicate balance between the odds of it raining, and the odds of it getting warm enough that I'm going to have to take them off and find a place to put them.

I think this is what I am going to have to do also. was leaning towards chaps, but definitely don't want the soaked crotch during the rain! thanks for the input!

Old 02-22-2014, 09:24 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/hi-vis-rain-suit
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...ctional-jacket
I wear L.L. Bean fleece lined levis & Under Armour long johns, when it's really cold or regular levis with Under Armour long johns.
5.11 Tactical Storm boots, which are waterproof.
The HD Jacket is on of the best jackets I've ever purchased. Good Luck.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:06 PM
CrazyBones
Road Captain

crap! I never even thought of long johns! lol! maybe with some long johns, carhartt pants (my normal attire) and some chaps I would be good in cold and moderate rain...hmm something to think about, and my big belly could possibly act as a roof over the crotch area during rainstorms! lmao!

Old 02-22-2014, 11:05 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

Really, there is soooo many good products out there.... I've think its what ever you can AFFORD and it keeps you dry and warm...

we can alway layer up.. and anything made with Gortex will keep you dry..

The real Question is can you afford the best.. cause it ain't cheap..

I've had my mid Priced HD rain-suit for 6 yrs and it been Perfect... and it is still in like new shape and condition after using it every yr and it was about $180.

Is it the BEST,??? who knows, I just like it, it keeps me dry and the price was more than I wanted to pay,, but over-all I think it was worth it...

Last edited by oct1949; 02-22-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:17 PM
LANGEFIFL
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wear long johns (merino wool), carhardts, and my chaps. If its gonna' be a rainy one, I wear my Frog Toggs rain gear. Last year I wore the FT pants under my chaps, and really liked it.

Quick Reply: Oregon riders, what's the best cold/rainy gear to have?