General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keeping a nice '03' well, "nice"

Old 02-22-2014, 11:59 AM
Mpderksen
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keeping a nice '03' well, "nice"

So I got completely taken at the dealer on a used '03 Road King. No homework, no comparison shopping, not even a test ride. I rode Hondas for years, and after a long break, my wife gave the thumbs up while we were at a BBQ event at the local dealer listening to a buddy that was drummer for the band that was playing. I knew nothing about engine sizes on Harleys. Shortly after purchase, I found about $4,000 that needed to be done in various engine work. It needed all new fuel lines, a few tranny gears, lifters, etc. the warranty covered everything, so while he was in there, I added 227 cams etc. and now it runs perfectly.
So okay, I paid my "stupid tax". The bike is visually exactly what I want. If I just go by looks, there isn't much I'd change, which is what drew me to it in the first place. So there's no regret there.
Moving forward, my question is how to keep it looking nice LONG term. There are various nuts, bolts, and covers that aren't perfect. So do you guys just accept that stuff gets replaced over the years? It's a toy, not a commuter, and I've put on about 3,000 miles in the last 18 months. I can see a little rust on the underside of the floorboards, stuff like that.
I really have no need/desire for major engine work. It pulls well, and I'm mostly in the hills for cruises around Yosemite, which is 1 1/2 hours away. I want to add stuff like a stereo, LED headlights, and maybe some cool chrome rotors, but again, it mostly looks like what I would build if I bought a new one anyway.
I keep it maintained and clean, so should I simply replace little stuff as it bothers me?
Last Fall I rode the 400 miles each way to Los Angeles, and felt like it was nothing! Totally love this bike unless I'm missing something. No reason not to own a 2003 forever, right?

Michael

Old 02-22-2014, 12:07 PM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum and enjoy it forever! Yes replace things as you see fit for visual satisfaction unless its a safety issue. As most will testify you will soon find out that HD stands for "Hundred Dollars". I usually try and shop elsewhere for aftermarket product, lots of forum sponsors that satisfy that urge... Also HOTTOPPERS makes shiny covers for your bike as well. Enjoy it for a looong time.
Others will no doubt chime in with any problem areas of the 03.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:12 PM
KEYBEAR
Road Master

I have an 03 WideGlide and try hard to keep it nice . Nuts and bolts that don,t look as new I replace I clean it and wax when needed . You just need to stay on top of it all the time . I have changed little of my WG because it was just right when I bought it .

Old 02-22-2014, 12:55 PM
Mpderksen
Intermediate

Thanks for the welcome. Nothing "wrong" with owning an '03, I'm certainly not saying that. What drew me to Harley is that it seems that they remain awesome, regardless of the year/model. My first bike was an '87 Magna and I fell in love with riding. After it was destroyed in a crash (classic left turn in front of me at full speed because she didn't "see" me....), I commuted on a Nighthawk for a few years until my son was born. The Hondas just seemed to have expiration dates on them. Once they got some miles, you just replace them like a Bic lighter. The Road King seems different somehow. As the years go by, I want to keep it nice. I can't see owning a 20 year old Nighthawk, but a 20 year old Harley is just as awesome as a new one, in my mind....
Stuff wears out, to be sure, but my goal is to learn how to keep it safe, shiny and running well for the years to come.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:10 PM
Ghosteh
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mpderksen
No reason not to own a 2003 forever, right?

Right! If you take care of it, it will literally last your lifetime, and well into the next. The key is to maintain it and replace things when they need replacing, as you said. Maybe in another 10 years, you'll be stripping it down completely for a restoration, but there's nothing wrong with that!

The biggest temptation is to sell & chase after the "latest & greatest" model with all the improvements, but honestly there's nothing wrong with what you have. Sometimes I wish mine had ABS, larger rear rubber, etc., but it really does everything I need and is very comfortable, so I don't sweat the small stuff.

Congrats on the bike!

Last edited by Ghosteh; 02-22-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:20 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The previous owner of my 2005 Se Fat Boy had hotoppers put on every nut and bolt head he could. I've had the bike for 8 years and the hotoppers still make the bike look like new.
Tom

Old 02-22-2014, 08:08 PM
Wheels24
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a '96 RK and feel the same way you do...I can see me keeping that bike forever. I just fix/replace stuff as needed and do regular washing/waxing. Maintenance is key...easy to do yourself if you're even remotely mechanically inclined. Oddly, I prefer my 'old' Evo over the new bikes. Like you, I rode everything except Harleys for over 40 years. Only my Ducati has that same 'keeper' feel. My '96 is 18 years behind in upgrades...but I don't care. Enjoy your '03...and 'Welcome'.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:15 PM
coastie56
Grand HDF Member

Received 392 Likes on 328 Posts

I put 65,000 on my 03 Road King and loved it untill the day I traded it for a geezer glide. I also made the usual upgrades to the cam chain tensioners (hydraulic kit) and replaced the rubber engine mounts but it never broke down on me and ran better the day I traded it than the day I bought it. Awesome bikes and heartbreak pretty.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:27 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

I am sorry but I am thinking total BS on this..

A rebuilt new motor from MoCo is less the the $4k you said yours cost to fix...
So why did't you just get a new motor.??

IMO, If you needed,,,Tranny work, New lifters and fuel lines then those repairs ain't even close to 4K unless your tranny was toast and still it'd be about 1/2 the $4K

Plus, I've never heard of a 227 cam..?? Who made them..???

just to much stretching the story in this one for me to believe it.

As far as How to keep your bike clean.. I'll give you some links to read, but I am not going to type it all out.
Really its not any different than keeping a car clean, shined and polished..

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+care+for+a+motorcycle

Old 02-22-2014, 11:28 PM
Mpderksen
Intermediate

Thanks again. Today I did 100 mile loop to Valley Springs to help a buddy pick up his RK. He had the stage 4 kit put in with 110 heads. He could leave me like I was walking. But it was 70 degrees, and I wouldn't trade him for mine. It was then I knew I had the right sled. I'll put up a few pics when I've posted enough to be allowed to.

Rubber-side down brothers!

Michael

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Keeping a nice '03' well, "nice"