General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shootout: Vance Hines Fuelpak v. Dynojet Power Commander V

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 09:24 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Shootout: Vance Hines Fuelpak v. Dynojet Power Commander V

Before I got in my accident, I rode the FuelPak for two weeks. And the Power Commander V for a week.

I had meant to post this review. But didn't get a chance until now. I'll break it down into several categories. If anyone has other questions, feel free.

First, this was a comparison of the FuelPack LCD ($260) and the Power Commander V with canned download for my bike and its Stage 1 from Dynojet. ($299)

VH has just come out with FP3, which is a full tuning unit that marries with your smart phone. Wish I had known about that. Darn. And of course, the Power Commander can be added to with auto tune, etc. Both are more expensive options. I wanted to do a comparison of so called "budget" tuning options. Though these two little units don't act cheap at all to me. And nope, I didn't run my old ViEDs with my FuelPak. I wanted this to be a true one v. one comparison.

Now for the categories and a star rating max of five for each one.

INSTALLATION-

Power Commander V - Not too much trouble to install. I did it during my lunch hour at work, in fact. It's just a basic connection to your ECM under the seat. However, there's a little more additional work plugging in the 02 plugs that come with this unit. They basically disable the 02 sensors under your seat and near your regulator. Rating: 4.5 stars.

FuelPak - Again, done on my lunch hour, but done even more quickly than the PCV. The instructions are a little more clear and the connection a little more supple to get this in a nice hideaway spot under your seat. No 02 plugs that disable your 02 sensors. So at least 15 mins less on install here and really a snap. Rating: 5 stars.

PREVENTING HARD STARTS-

Power Commander V - My bike has always hard started more than it should for a new bike. And though it hasn't really been a problem, it nags me. I hoped the PCV would help out with this. Given the richer fuel mix it creates. Well, I have to be honest here. Hard starts were not decreased substantially with this unit. Maybe not at all. At least not with the canned download. Rating: 2.5 stars.

FuelPak - This is an area where it performs quite well actually. Hard starts were virtually eliminated with this unit. Even after the bike had been sitting overnight on colder days here in Cali. Matter of fact, it sat for several days after my accident, and I started her just to keep the battery fresh. Bam, started right up with the FP installed. Rating: 5 stars.

SOUND -

Power Commander V - The bike had a nice deep growl with the PCV, running through my S&S Stealth air cleaner, and Paughco cocktail shakers, aka. bell tip, slip ons. Nicer tone than stock, for sure. And nicer than when I was just running ViEDs. Cool stuff. Perhaps a little raspy for my personal taste. But I likey.
Rating: 4.5 stars.

FuelPak - The bike had an ever nicer, deeper growl running the FuelPak. Same set up, but incredibly cool low rumble at a stop and then beautiful baritone growl at acceleration. Edged out the PCV. Rating: 5 stars.

REDUCING DECEL POP

Power Commander V - Virtually eliminated decel pop. I really had to try to make my bike do it. Noice. Rating: 5 stars.

FuelPak - Virtually eliminated decel pop. I really had to try to make my bike do it. Noice too. Rating: 5 stars.

ENGINE TEMP

Power Commander V - Bike ran cooler than stock. About as cool as my ViEDs. I don't recall ever getting above 210 oil temp checking my cheapo Harley gauge after each ride in the SoCal fair weather. A little heat on the legs at stop lights, but nothing major. Rating: 4.5 stars.

FuelPak - Bike ran even cooler than with the PCV. I don't recall getting above 200 oil temp under the same riding conditions. Very comfy at a stoplight. As a matter of fact, maybe a little too cool in that I wondered if I was getting all I could outta the bike. For that reason, even though it's a cool ride. Rating: 4.5 stars.

ACCELERATION FROM STOP

Power Commander V - Here's a category that will be the bottom line for lots of folks. I love it too, but don't see it as the end all, be all. The PCV performed very well here. Very strong off the line. Could feel the front wheel want to raise if I let the clutch out hard. No disappointment's here. Rating: 5 stars.

FuelPak - The FP was no slouch here either actually. Much better than stock, much better than when I ran ViEDs. Very strong off the line. Could also feel front wheel want to pop up if I let clutch out hard. Maybe a smidgen less fleet than the PCV, but she goes quick. Rating: 4.5 stars.

FREEWAY 5TH AND 6TH SPEEDS

Power Commander V - Very nice in this category. You can get up to 70 to 75 in 5th before you feel like you have to switch to 6th. Bike can hit 80 or 90 (please don't do this) without breaking a sweat. Fun to be very careful with.
Rating: 4.75 stars.

FuelPak - Very nice in this category as well. Again, 70 to 75 mph in 5th before you feel like you need to switch to 6th. No sweat hitting 80 or 90. But actually even a little smoother and more effortless than the PCV. This surprised me a lot. Kinda surprised I'm doing it, but it edges out the PCV here: Rating 5 stars.

Average Star Rating for Power Commander V: 4.39 stars

Average Star Rating for FuelPak: 4.85 stars

If there's categories I left out, or things anyone would like to know, please feel free to ask. I tried to give both units an objective chance after hearing good and bad things about both. By the way, customer service was great at both VH and at DynoJet. Same day, sometimes same hour, returns of my email questions. I couldn't ask for better customer service. I'm only keeping one unit of course. It's the one that performed the best in more categories.

Keep on ridin, folks!

Last edited by SoCalSoftailSlim; 02-22-2014 at 09:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SoCalSoftailSlim:
EdB (03-28-2022), Mutasim M (02-13-2020)
Old 02-22-2014, 11:07 PM
Bikeagraman
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for a great review. I already have the Fuelpak, and I like it a lot. I am waiting for the FP3. It holds a lot of promise. I hope it lives up to expectation.

(I know the FP3 doesn't work on my bike, but you never know if I'll get a new bike with CAN Bus some day....)

Last edited by Bikeagraman; 02-23-2014 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 02-23-2014, 06:09 AM
TracerBullet
Supporter
Received 5,193 Likes on 2,824 Posts

Thanks for the write up. I went with the fuel park and have been happy with it but it is nice to see a side by side comparison

Old 02-23-2014, 07:43 AM
ConfuciusSay
Road Warrior
Received 2,529 Likes on 684 Posts

Excellent review. Thanks for taking the time to write this.

The following users liked this post:
EdB (03-28-2022)
Old 02-23-2014, 08:08 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Nice review. Thanks for the effort. If I might add my experience with the PCV. I have the PCV with a canned Fuel Moto map, Cobra Power Port head pipe with Fuel Moto 3.5" Dyno tune mufflers and the Original Fuel Moto modified Screaming Eagle air Box. Although I only have friends bikes and my original stock configuration on my bike to use as a comparison, I find everything you said about the PCV to be accurate except for the hard starting. My bike starts so much quicker and better and is so much smoother when cold, here we have many 40F mornings even in early summer at times. I cannot find a single flaw or reason to get it Dyno tuned or change any parameters. My oil temp runs in the 190 range however in fairness to the comparison I live in a cooler climate, Installed a Harley oil cooler on my 96" engine. I also installed a Ward Werks fan set up, which certainly helps in that department.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:29 PM
Bowtieman31
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice review, lot of good info. There is one category that you omitted. How was the fuel consumption? Having past experience with the Power Commander PC3 I can say that prior to a dyno tune my MPG dropped from 50mpg (stock) to 42mpg. After the dyno tune mileage went from 42mpg to 48mpg. This was acceptable for me as most of my riding is long distance. I am now riding a new bike and have been trying to decide between the Power Commander and the Fuel Pack. Also, my previous Power Commander had 78,000 miles on it and never failed.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:09 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member

Bowtie, I didn't measure my fuel consumption. It did seem as if the PCV ran richer than the FP, and therefore seemed like the tank drained more quickly.

Both seemed to use more gas than stock, of course.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:59 PM
LokiBobber
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the review! I just installed a SE Heavy Breather and am now looking to add a tuner. This will definitely help make the decision! Thanks again.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:32 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member

No sweat. Enjoy the ride no matter what way you go!

Old 03-18-2014, 02:20 PM
Pritam
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very helpful review thanks for sharing, ordered Fuelpak FP3 and Big Radius 2 into 2 for my 2013 FatBoy Lo.

Quick Reply: Shootout: Vance Hines Fuelpak v. Dynojet Power Commander V