General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! What's the secret?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 08:45 PM
Clayvis
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Help! What's the secret?

So I'm starting my cam install project (2007 Fatboy). Figure I will get it in 6th gear before I start tearing parts off. Start it up-try shifting to higher gear....NO DICE ... won't go past 2nd. So I jack the rear wheel off the ground, but still no luck. It will go from neutral to 2nd, and that's it. Even tried riding it up the driveway and shifting, but ran out of room in 2nd...Do I need to ride around the block and upshift when I get close to home and coast? What am I missing here?

Old 02-23-2014, 09:19 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,060 Likes on 11,070 Posts

I shift a static, engine off bike by sitting on it and rocking it back and forth against the drivetrain lash.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:42 PM
HooliganCycles
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put the rear wheel in the air, and while up shifting spin the wheel

Old 02-24-2014, 07:26 AM
Clayvis
Road Master

Thanks guys. I did the rocking thing and it worked. Still not sure I am in 6th gear since the "6" light won't light up. Maybe the bike has to be moving for this? Anyway hopefully I am in a high enough gear to spin the engine over with the spark plugs out...Will find out tonight.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:43 AM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

spin the wheel while shifting

Old 02-24-2014, 10:56 AM
HooliganCycles
Advanced

Why not just count how many times you shift to know what gear your in, i hope this doesnt sound rude, but if you need a light to tell you your in 6th gear you may want to reconsider the task of a cam job on your own. Again, not meaning to be offensive

Old 02-24-2014, 11:05 AM
hobobiker
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Your cam job is going to require you to have the rear wheel lifted anyway so you can rotate the motor around and get the lifter on the heel of the cam (unless you're removing the top end and re-using the stock pushrods), so it would be best to find a small jack to use under the rear of the bike. Unless you do it different than many of us, you will also be lowering the bike to keep the engine from turning while you torque the crank and pinion bolts (unless you buy or make a special locking tool for the job).

In short, jack the rear tire up and rotate the rear wheel forward till it 'catches'. Pull the shift lever up. Repeat until the shift lever no longer goes into another gear.

Good luck with the cam job. It's not hard, but follow the service manual very closely and don't overtorque the bolts - especially the cam plate bolt #4.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:03 PM
Clayvis
Road Master

[QUOTE=HooliganCycles;12363108]Why not just count how many times you shift to know what gear your in, i hope this doesnt sound rude, but if you need a light to tell you your in 6th gear you may want to reconsider the task of a cam job on your own. Again, not meaning to be offensive.

Haha, no offense taken. I know this whole post sounded pretty stupid....It was late, I was tired, the dog ate my homework... just not thinking straight. I am all good now...

I've been wrenching a looong time, but still do some dumb $*%& now and then. I have read my FSM several times, and researched the cam swap extensively. I don't expect any major problems as long as I can keep the fog out of my brain. Gonna relax and have a beer tonight before starting....

Last edited by Clayvis; 02-24-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:15 PM
Tech Slap
Cruiser

while torqueing the oil pump, rotate the motor so the gerators sync themselves...good luck...

Old 02-24-2014, 02:13 PM
Clayvis
Road Master

Originally Posted by Tech Slap
while torqueing the oil pump, rotate the motor so the gerators sync themselves...good luck...
Yeah, that's what the FSM says. So I take this to mean leave the bolts holding the oil pump finger tight, then rotate the motor a few times, then tighten to spec. Does that sound right?

I have to wonder why the you tube videos show guys leaving the oil pump attached to the cam plate and not doing this alignment procedure. Looks like something they would do at my local $tealership...cutting corners!

Quick Reply: Help! What's the secret?