General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another rain gear questions: what fits better in the saddlebags?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 01:08 PM
AlBaron
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another rain gear question: what fits better in the saddlebags?

Gents,
so as I've been reading numerous posts on this forum regarding what the "best rain gear" is - a lot of you guys seem to favor the Hi-Viz set from HD. But I've also seen some votes for Nelson-Riggs Aston 3000 and for Tourmaster Sentinel.
Now, I want to put this in a little different perspective. Lets assume the price is not a factor here, and neither is the quality/functionality of the product (lets say that all 3 are equal).

I would like to hear from some of you who had a chance to see these suits "live and in-person". Which one packs better / takes less space in your bags?

Last edited by AlBaron; 02-24-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:16 PM
AlBaron
Cruiser

anyone?

Old 02-24-2014, 03:20 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

If you send me the money to buy the other two besides the HD one I have, I'll test them and report back in here which one takes up the least amount of space..

Mine takes up a space of 8x8x2 in the bag they come in.

the others I have no idea.

Last edited by oct1949; 02-24-2014 at 04:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-24-2014, 03:35 PM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with a tight roll. none of them take up a massive amount of space. its not like they're insulated or have rigid parts.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:48 PM
Car Doc
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Heritage bags are different than yours and my suits are different brand but it takes a whole bag for my 2 rain suit complete sets with gaiters.

That's using Cabella's frogg toggs tops and bottoms that come in a bag and HD gaiters.

I have a little spare room like a set of gloves and maps and maybe a bottle of water extra but that's it, well my tool kit is at the bottom always also.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:38 PM
Harley Tim
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the HD version of Pac-Lite... They are light weight gortex with the claim that if folded/rolled tightly, you could fit them into a 1 liter sports drink container.

They are not much good over just a T-shirt because the wind chill will cool you down a bunch so I always try to keep a long sleeve T handy, but other than that they are pritty much water tight like a frogs butt.

Best wishes....Tim(HT)

Old 02-24-2014, 04:45 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

If you take Frogg Toggs out of their carrying bags, and fold them flat, they not only take up very little room, but also are super light weight.

I tend to carry them in their storage bags, as the bags by themselves tend to come in pretty handy, and it also allows me to clip them on my luggage rack when the bags get full on longer trips.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:01 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,487 Likes on 1,600 Posts

I'm more concerned with the functionality of my rain suit than I am how compactly that it rolls up.
I have the older style H-D gray & black rain suit with the protective material on the right inner leg.
It's heavy enough to use over my clothing but also large enough to fit over my leather jacket and pants for cooler weather.
I can get two suits in one saddle bag on an Ultra if I have to but usually my wife rides her own bike and has plenty of storage for her own stuff.
In my LH saddlebag, I carry my rain suit, gators, tool bag, mini- air compressor, and a few other small things and still have a little extra room just in case.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:24 PM
AlBaron
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
I'm more concerned with the functionality of my rain suit than I am how compactly that it rolls up.
I have the older style H-D gray & black rain suit with the protective material on the right inner leg.
It's heavy enough to use over my clothing but also large enough to fit over my leather jacket and pants for cooler weather.
I can get two suits in one saddle bag on an Ultra if I have to but usually my wife rides her own bike and has plenty of storage for her own stuff.
In my LH saddlebag, I carry my rain suit, gators, tool bag, mini- air compressor, and a few other small things and still have a little extra room just in case.
Obviously functionality comes first, but assuming they all function about the same (and it seems that all of these suits have gotten pretty positive reviews) - wouldn't the bag-space required become a tie-breaker?

Old 02-24-2014, 09:43 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I just purchased the Nelson Riggs Aston 3000 and was able to put it in my Ultra saddlebag along with my 3 man tent, aircompressor and tire plug kit.

Quick Reply: Yet another rain gear questions: what fits better in the saddlebags?