General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tru duals on a new bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 06:48 AM
TennesseeJed
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tru duals on a new bike

my dealer is telling me that if anybody installs tru duals on they new bike it will void the warranty as far as the engine is concerned. It happened to a customer of theirs last year as they were trying to diagnose a burp the bike had @ 65 mph. When service dept. chatted with HD support and submitted a detailed list of A/C and header pipe config., which included Rinehart tru duals, the MoCo flagged his bike, (2013 Ultra), void as far as engine warranty was concerned. The customer had done SE cam, SE Ventilator, HD ECM flash and the Rinehart header pipes and slipons.
This I found out as I am receiving a 2014 TriGlide next week and wanted tru duals installed b4 I take delivery. The service manager called me yesterday and related what had occurred to this customer.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:27 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Your dealer is a lying sack!

There are very few instances in which a manufacturer can legally "void" a warranty. Examples of them are; a totaled vehicle (major damage, fire, flood), grey market vehicles and using the vehicle to race.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states that the manufacturer has to prove that that mod caused the issue. Then and only then can a company legally deny warranty for that individual issue.

Here is a nice write pertaining to modding cars (same thing as bikes).
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...ty-intact.html

Read up about the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and then go back to dealer and explain to them why you will never do business with them again.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:38 AM
TennesseeJed
Tourer

Originally Posted by PFWiz
Your dealer is a lying sack!

then go back to dealer and explain to them why you will never do business with them again.
[/I]
I dont see how the dealer is a lying sack. I am just relating what the MoCo told the service dept. ......

.................(When service dept. chatted with HD support and submitted a detailed list of A/C and header pipe config., which included Rinehart tru duals, the MoCo flagged his bike, (2013 Ultra), void as far as engine warranty).......... I forgot to say the cat removal was cited along with the HD ECM flash which was for headers with HD cats still intact and his headers were W/O a cat. This supposed to be what the burp was from.

.......... Unless you be inferring the MoCo is lying to the dealer.....

I did know the guy this happened to, (he has since passed), but not the circumstances surrounding it. I had heard his warranty claim had been denied and this is what my dealer was referring to.
I had V&H true duals ordered and the dealer had received them but the service manager wanted to forewarn me.
I'm just saying.......

Last edited by TennesseeJed; 02-26-2014 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:47 AM
Rockymoto34
Novice

Harley is not what it used to be, there customer service sucks I went round and round with them over a very poorly put together motor and **** poor quality control and they would not do anything about it said I could have bought the parts off of ebay or something and that I was trying to pull something over on them

This was on a 2013 Ultra FLTHK with less than 5000 miles

Old 02-26-2014, 08:58 AM
UltraRider260
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been told similar things about voided warranties mods done to new bikes. That being said, I've also had "true duals" and crossover head pipes going into two mufflers. My Indy mech told me and a few others as well that you get better torque in the mid range running a 2-1-2 or 2-1 than you do a 2-2. I've had all three and from my experience 2-1-2 or 2-1 IS better than true duals. JMO

Old 02-26-2014, 09:05 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,118 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Yeah but nothing beats the cadence (wonderful sound) you get while cruising down the highway....when you have 2x totally separate pipes.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:14 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by TennesseeJed
I dont see how the dealer is a lying sack. I am just relating what the MoCo told the service dept. ......

.................(When service dept. chatted with HD support and submitted a detailed list of A/C and header pipe config., which included Rinehart tru duals, the MoCo flagged his bike, (2013 Ultra), void as far as engine warranty).......... I forgot to say the cat removal was cited along with the HD ECM flash which was for headers with HD cats still intact and his headers were W/O a cat. This supposed to be what the burp was from.

.......... Unless you be inferring the MoCo is lying to the dealer.....

I did know the guy this happened to, (he has since passed), but not the circumstances surrounding it. I had heard his warranty claim had been denied and this is what my dealer was referring to.
I had V&H true duals ordered and the dealer had received them but the service manager wanted to forewarn me.
I'm just saying.......

So you heard the MoCo say this to the dealer? You personally were listening in on this conversation? Or did the dealer just tell you it happened?

Are you trying to say that you know for absolute fact that the MoCo did these illegal things?

Old 02-26-2014, 09:18 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rockymoto34
Harley is not what it used to be, there customer service sucks I went round and round with them over a very poorly put together motor and **** poor quality control and they would not do anything about it said I could have bought the parts off of ebay or something and that I was trying to pull something over on them

This was on a 2013 Ultra FLTHK with less than 5000 miles
The MoCo is required by law to be able to prove that these "supposed" parts caused the problem. If you let Hales (I assume it was Hales) HD get away with this, shame on you!

Don't feel impregnated because they tried to do this to you. Manufactures of all kinds of stuff try to reduce legitimate warranty costs anyway they can. It cost GM almost $6000 when my Pontiac dealer tried to do it to me once. The difference is, I did not let them.

Last edited by PFWiz; 02-26-2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:22 AM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 822 Likes on 478 Posts

wait , somebody puts aftermarket parts on a bike and Harley won't pay to fix a problem that could be caused by these parts ?
first thing i'd do as a tech is put the stock parts back on and see if the problem still exists . if it goes away i'd tell the customer that fixing it wouldn't be covered by the HD warranty .

Old 02-26-2014, 10:34 AM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

The warranty clearly states that it is a legal contract between you and Harley Davidson. Not between you and the dealer. Installing true duals and not using EPA approved parts could void that portion of the warranty that applies to an engine failure (ie. the engine was lean and detonated and the cause of the lean condition was the use of those pipes).

It doesn't mean that if you have an ABS failure and have true duals, it won't be covered.

Quick Reply: tru duals on a new bike