General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM recalls millions, why not HD?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 07:51 PM
hover
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default GM recalls millions, why not HD?

If GM has to recall all of these cars for the ignition key turning off by itself, why doesn't Harley have to recall the touring bikes that are subject to going into limp mode. Harley knows about the pins fretting in the connector behind the throttle body, but does nothing about it! Mine has done it twice, luckily not at 80mph on a busy interstate. Anybody else see this as problem? Rant over!

Old 02-26-2014, 08:09 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Who knows what goes on in the minds of the executives. Good Luck on getting your bike fixed.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:27 PM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

HD knows they don't have to...

We will still buy them!

Old 02-26-2014, 08:32 PM
hover
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Who knows what goes on in the minds of the executives. Good Luck on getting your bike fixed.
Mine should be ok now hopefully, just thinking of how dangerous this can actually be, and all the bikes that this could potentially effect. Harley should do the right thing and repin all these connectors. Afterall it has been known to happen on quite a few members bikes.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:50 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

GM (or any other manufacturer) does not voluntarily recall their products. It's mandated by the feds after much research into accidents, injuries and deaths. The vehicle makers normally put up a big fight to oppose any recall. Recalls are very costly and hurt the image of the brand.
We all expect the MOCO to do the right thing by its loyal owners when such a potentially dangerous condition exists. That doesn't always happen as fast as it should. What HD should do, if they haven't already, is to issue a service bulletin to fix the problem. I don't know where they draw the line as to how many people have to get hurt until they act, but these are corporate lawyers and accountants making those decisions.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:52 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The problem with the ignitions goes back to 2004 so I wouldn't give GM too much credit for the recall. Hopefully, they'll do more than slap a bandaid on the problem like they did on the two recalls of my vehicle which ended with me fixing the problems myself.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:57 PM
ConfuciusSay
Road Warrior
Received 2,529 Likes on 684 Posts

What are the problems with the bikes? Hover, I see you have an 09 Ultra. I have an 09 Street Glide. Is there something I should be concerned with?

Old 02-26-2014, 09:48 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I haven't seen a recall on the GM truck addressing mexican made speakers, door locks, or electric windows either.
HD does better than all the rest of the bike makers do.
Honda or Suzuki has never had a recall on all its poorly designed stuff. Like water pumps, starter switches or clutches.
Give em time or take charge yourself like I had to with my truck. Cost me close to a grand to replace all of it.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:52 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

not till now .

Old 02-26-2014, 11:42 PM
hover
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mercu136
What are the problems with the bikes? Hover, I see you have an 09 Ultra. I have an 09 Street Glide. Is there something I should be concerned with?
Quite a few owners of these bikes have experienced the bike suddenly going into limp mode for no apparent reason. It just means that it goes to idle and you have no throttle. Unless you reset the ecm, you will only be able to basicly idle your bike. This can happen any time at any speed. I think there may be a service bulletin out that says the contact pins in the connector pull back or corrode due to vibration or something like that. The quick fix is to pull the connector apart and use some dielectric grease on it. Apparently this helps somewhat. Its happened to me twice. Other recalls on the bike are for the rear brake light switch, tank bracket and front tire.

Quick Reply: GM recalls millions, why not HD?