General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement part from North Korea...really?

Old 03-01-2014, 06:24 AM
Landfill_Tim
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Replacement part from North Korea...really?

I replaced the trap door bearings on a buddy's trans the other day. The dealer only had one in stock. The one they had, had been in their inventory a while and was made in Canada. Fine, no problem. When the other bearing came in, it was clearly labeled made in North Korea. What is Harley doing? It was clearly a newer design as the bearing cage was different from the originals and the new Canadian bearing. I really can't believe North Korean parts are acceptable.

Attached Thumbnails Replacement part from North Korea...really?-image.jpg  
Old 03-01-2014, 06:48 AM
PaiN
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a small example of the twisted web that goes on "out of sight". Another sliver of proof we are fed nothing but mis-information or flat out lies as to what goes on in the world.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:49 AM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

That is absurd.

Apart from the questionable quality, WTF are they doing supporting that regime.

The South Korean's have industrial parks in NK which they financed - could it be from one of these?

Old 03-01-2014, 06:50 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

Global Market competition, is a word we used to hear at work all the time.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:55 AM
tomt
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

We can't do business with North Korea. Must be a typeo. We have an embargo/sanctions against them.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:56 AM
Landfill_Tim
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would hope that it was made by the South Koreans that commute across the border to work but who really knows. I've known for ages that harley has been using off-shore parts, and I've accepted that, but North Korea is just outrageous to me.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:24 AM
oldwarrior
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1004ron
That is absurd.

Apart from the questionable quality, WTF are they doing supporting that regime.

The South Korean's have industrial parks in NK which they financed - could it be from one of these?
The package points to the industrial parks in NK, but I think a further investigation needs to be done on this, I don't know if I would have bought it, my wife is S Korean and if I brought home that bearing I would be nailed to the wall if she saw where it was made.
I understand you needed it as soon as possible, but I think a letter to Harley pointing it out is in order, anyway I'm going to see what I can find out on the net, hopefully any clues have not been blocked.
The South Koreans who commute across the border most are in a supervisory position, and North Koreans actually make the goods to the specs that the South Koreans setup.

Here's some info.
http://www.vocativ.com/04-2013/5-pro...trade-embargo/

Last edited by oldwarrior; 03-01-2014 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:31 AM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by oldwarrior
The package points to the industrial parks in NK, but I think a further investigation needs to be done on this, I don't know if I would have bought it, my wife is S Korean and if I brought home that bearing I would be nailed to the wall if she saw where it was made.
I understand you needed it as soon as possible, but I think a letter to Harley pointing it out is in order, anyway I'm going to see what I can find out on the net, hopefully any clues have not been blocked.
The South Koreans who commute across the border most are in a supervisory position, and North Koreans actually make the goods to the specs that the South Koreans setup.
My wife is also South Korean, and just like yours, she would do her nut if I brought home that part. Also buying "made in Japan" is only considered as a last resort.

I think it's disgusting and disrespectful of Harley to sell goods made in NK, and so boldly labelled at that.

Last edited by 1004ron; 03-01-2014 at 07:43 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:33 AM
oldwarrior
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok my socks have just been blown off.
Is this for real Only goes backwards, its got to be a joke.
This has to be an April fools Joke.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=215_1390831463

Last edited by oldwarrior; 03-01-2014 at 07:50 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:42 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,720 Likes on 6,884 Posts

I have been selling bearings for over 30 years. I've seen the entire industry make great advancements and at the same time have witnessed become it a world market.

Yes I hate to see it but the truth is that it really does not matter what country it is made in. What matters is who made it. EVERY major manufacturer of bearings today has plants worldwide.

John Deere drove one major bearing manufacturer to China years ago to be able to meet a price point they were demanding on future purchases. The quality of bearings from the Asian rim is as good as any if they come from the major manufacturers. If you get a no name from that region beware as there are inferior products as well.

Ride safe.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacement part from North Korea...really?