General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High idle- throttle return

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 05:54 PM
RickK
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High idle- throttle return

2010 Street Glide with electronic cruise control

I just purchased this bike three days ago and today was the first chance I had to get out and ride for a few hours. On the way home I noticed at a stop sign that the ilde was around 3500 . When I got home the first thing I did was use the search feature here and read about the issue with turning the bike off before the idle settles down. I tried the 8 sec 4 sec thing no help.

I discovered that I can twist the throttle forward and the idle goes down to normal but when I release the throttle the handle moves a good bit and the high idle returns.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it but,
earlier today I tried out the cruise control and tested disengaging it by turning the throttle all the way home (forward). I'm not sure if this cause my issue or not.

Does this bike have a drive by wire throttle or is it a cable? If cable , where do I look for the return spring. If wire , what do I need to look for.

Also: it does have a PCV installed, would the 8 sec 4 sec trick still work or does the PCV take over the function?

Thanks for any help
Rick

Old 03-01-2014, 06:02 PM
pbsdaddy
Extreme HDF Member

Received 5,381 Likes on 2,486 Posts

Drive by wire. Try just flipping the ignitions switch back and forth a few times. That often works for me.
Get used to not touching the throttle grip until the bike is running and letting go of it before you shut down. On mine, at least, a very slight pressure on the throttle can cause the hi idle issue.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:08 PM
RickK
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never mind. Its working now. I tired the ignition switch reset trick again , this time waiting until the radio came on and then turn it off and wait until the lights flashed X5 . I did notice when it was in this mode (high idle), the cruise control idiot light was flashing but the switch was off.

IDK but its gone

Rick