General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodbye to a dealership like "Cheers"

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 02:30 AM
khui
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Goodbye to a dealership like "Cheers"

There's a general consensus that dealerships are a rip off and they earned the nickname "stealership"...yah, most charged an arm and a leg for a new bike, and i am probably victim of that too. but coming from an island in hawaii where there's only 2 dealership,s they can pretty much get whatever they asked for.

jus snapped this pic today and its whats left of a dealership that was open for 30 years in hawaii. this "small" dealership got bought out by the bigger dealership so pretty much in the entire state of hawaii, there's only 1 dealership. talk about a monopoly on harleys.

the shop's been closed for maybe 1-2 months. took a short ride today to snap a pic of my bike in front of the the only sign left on the property. this place was like "CHEERS", you walk in and everyone greets you. was a cool place to hang out and just talk story. most of the guys got picked up by the other dealership, but is definitely a more "corporate" environment. lots more bikes to look at, but not the small shop, family feel. good bye "cheers".

Old 03-02-2014, 04:11 AM
Todd1113
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Really diggin the bike!

Old 03-02-2014, 04:12 AM
Aaresz
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know how you feel, it's a shame! Nice looking bike though!

Old 03-02-2014, 06:32 AM
lmarty
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought my first large (02 Valcun Classic 1500) bike there. Always had good experiences anytime I needed anything done.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:19 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Hey Keith...any word that they might reopen under a different name, even though they're still owned by the "big guys"?

Old 03-02-2014, 07:24 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Sad to see the smaller shops go...they are a more "personal" environment. Our closest dealer in IA got gobbled-up and it's definitely not the same...cold and corporate'ish.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:29 AM
Scratt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks.

Kick *** bike you have.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:40 AM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 895 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Sad to see the smaller shops go...they are a more "personal" environment. Our closest dealer in IA got gobbled-up and it's definitely not the same...cold and corporate'ish.
Yep, sure said to see all of those old Mom & Pop places gone....and I can remember a bunch of them. Seems like almost every decent sized town had one.....and not all Harly dealers either...I can remember some small Mom & Pop Triumph and BSA shops too.
Places with a bell over the door...and wooden floors. An old beat up wood counter with a wall full of pigeon hole parts bins behind it....and MAYBE 1 bike on the floor to look at ......if you were lucky enough to get there when they had a new one......

Old 03-02-2014, 09:53 AM
khui
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lmarty
Bought my first large (02 Valcun Classic 1500) bike there. Always had good experiences anytime I needed anything done.
Wow! Wasn't expecting anyone from the other 49 states to share an experience w/ the dealership! Nice to share something in common with u on this!

I believe they were a dealer for Harley's, triumphs, and kawasakis, and at one time, big bear choppers too.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:58 AM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

For some reason I remember one particular time clearly, looking in through the front window of the closed Harley dealer in Ventura at the couple of Harleys parked on the sales floor. The linoleum was black and white checkerboard. I seem to remember it was stained, but that could be something I've added. It was night. We'd gone to Ventura to cruise Main Street, and stopped to look at the bikes.

The dealer was a little hole-in-the-wall. I wasn't riding motorcycles yet. It would be another five years, or so, before I started (a 650 Triumph). But I had the desire.

The 'Cheers' era of HD dealers is past. We might see it again, if the parent company falls on hard times. The look/feel of dealerships today is a reflection of the success/profitability of HD Corporate. My guess is, we'll never see 'Cheers' again even if HD falls on hard-times…there will just be a few big, empty, run-down buildings--like the OPs picture--where HD used to be.

Alan

Last edited by AlanStansbery; 03-02-2014 at 10:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Goodbye to a dealership like "Cheers"