General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner troubles!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 08:24 AM
Andyjames4
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok. Just bought my first Harley. 2014 Iron. Let me preface this by saying I'm an idiot...though I'm looking for help, this may just end up being sad and amusing. So, the first thing I do, as my bike is parked in my garage is attempt to change the cover on the thing where the chain and stuff is. I took off the original, and much to my surprise, all of this oil came flooding onto my garage floor. Terrible. After some crying, I eventually got the gasket aligned and the cover back on. It doesn't seem to be leaking, but then again, it could be empty. my bike won't start now, and I'm not sure if it's cause it's like 10 degrees out, or if it's something I did. Ugh.

In reading the manual, I have found that there are actually 2 types of oil that the bike uses. This is huge.

I thought that by filling the regular oil, it would trickle down I to the other oil, but apparently, that is not the case. This is hard.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 03-02-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:29 AM
twincam883883
Cruiser

Sounds like you were trying to change the derby cover (clutch cover) with the bike on the side stand and some of the primary/transmission oil came out (this oul is seperate from the engine oil) . It's not all the way dry but you will need to add a little. This is not your starting problem, 10 degrees may be the starting problem.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:29 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,907 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Welcome from Ct.
Sounds like you drained the primary. Bike should still start. I'm not that sure on the new scoots, might be a safety lockout in the system somewhere.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:35 AM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Go buy yourself a service manual. It sounds like you need it.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:37 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

^^^Yep^^^

Pics help too, but seems like you pulled the derby cover w/o leveling your bike. Might need to get a block of wood under kick (jiffy) stand, remove cover, check level & fill if needed.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:07 AM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

If I was you I'd be careful about making a bad situation worse. How far is your dealer? What do they charge for picking up a bike for service? Or, do you or a friend have a trailer suitable to haul the bike? According to your description, your primary is now dry. I wouldn't ride the bike until I'd replaced the lubricant.

I'd get the bike back to the dealer and have them address the issues. If you want to do your own service in the future, read up on it, hang out here and read everything you can, buy a Service Manual, and acquire some friends who own Harleys and who work on them who you can consult with.

From your description of events, obviously you don't know the first thing about your bike mechanically. I'm not sure about your 'mechanical-sense', i.e., general mechanical ability. Not trying to beat you up, just save you some grief…and some money.

Take it to the dealer for service. Or if you have a friend you trust who 'knows' Harleys, ask them to come by and give you some 'pointers'. But don't press on with any more futzing-around yourself until you have some help and guidance, someone to 'hold your hand'. If you're going to do your own work a Service Manual is a requirement. My advice.

Alan

Last edited by AlanStansbery; 03-02-2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:10 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Lesson learned! Purchase a service manual before any more screwing around.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:17 AM
acfetber
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Andyjames4
I thought that by filling the regular oil, it would trickle down I to the other oil, but apparently, that is not the case. This is hard.
If you added engine oil you have to much oil in it, you know its takes oil for motorcycles not car oil, I would call a friend. Do not start till you get correct engine oil level to much oil will force it out air cleaner I think, been told it will in my 88 twin cam.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:22 AM
CJHog
Intermediate

Is it just me.......I sure think if you buy a new bike, the service manual should be INCLUDED with the purchase.......Geez

Old 03-02-2014, 09:32 AM
jurgie
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Andyjames4
Ok. Just bought my first Harley. 2014 Iron. Let me preface this by saying I'm an idiot...though I'm looking for help, this may just end up being sad and amusing. So, the first thing I do, as my bike is parked in my garage is attempt to change the cover on the thing where the chain and stuff is. I took off the original, and much to my surprise, all of this oil came flooding onto my garage floor. Terrible. After some crying, I eventually got the gasket aligned and the cover back on. It doesn't seem to be leaking, but then again, it could be empty. my bike won't start now, and I'm not sure if it's cause it's like 10 degrees out, or if it's something I did. Ugh.
You need to have the bike on a bike jackstand or straight up and the fuild would have stayed in. So do that and add manuel will have a picture how full to go . You might be able to run the same oil as engine.I know I didnt on my sporty.Now you have to get the oil that you put in the engine out. If your over filled you dont want to start it,Also like said buy a battery tender and keep it pluged in when your not riding, good luck It will be ok Let the weather warm up its not a snowmobile.

Quick Reply: New owner troubles!