General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New York City Visit

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 05:25 PM
jcrawford14
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 1 Post
Default New York City Visit

I will be passing by New York City in June on my way home from Laconia. I would like to ride through Manhattan and see the sites. I am looking for advice from local New Yorkers on any secure parking garages where we can park 2 bikes while we sight see. We want to see Time Square, Empire State Bldg, Central Park. How much of this area is walk able? Was also thinking maybe getting a room and spending one night in town if secure motorcycle parking is available. We will be coming from the New Haven area and suggestion on routes would be appreciated. Dates will be Thursday the 19th or Friday the 20th.
I am open to all options and ideas how we can enjoy a quick visit to the Big Apple.

Thanks in advance for all information.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:18 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, my advice would be to get a motel in the Brewster (NY) area. That's right at the junction of i-84 and i-684. Figure on staying two nights (will probably cost less than one night in NYC). There are a couple of motels just outside of town where the bikes should be safe.

In the morning take a cab to Brewster station and take Metro-North down to Grand Central (about an hour and 20 minute ride). From GCT you can walk to Times Square and the Empire State Building. You might want to take a cab up to Central Park. Spend the day in the city, take the train back up in the evening, get a good night's rest, and be on your way.

I don't think you're going to find trying to get around on bikes in NYC very enjoyable. Parking while you visit the ESB or the Park is going to be expensive. You won't enjoy the trip into and out of the city, either -- traffic can be a nightmare in a car, letalone on a bike.

My opinion only...

Old 03-03-2014, 01:30 AM
CJHog
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nyc

Originally Posted by Fishrrman
Well, my advice would be to get a motel in the Brewster (NY) area. That's right at the junction of i-84 and i-684. Figure on staying two nights (will probably cost less than one night in NYC). There are a couple of motels just outside of town where the bikes should be safe.

In the morning take a cab to Brewster station and take Metro-North down to Grand Central (about an hour and 20 minute ride). From GCT you can walk to Times Square and the Empire State Building. You might want to take a cab up to Central Park. Spend the day in the city, take the train back up in the evening, get a good night's rest, and be on your way.

I don't think you're going to find trying to get around on bikes in NYC very enjoyable. Parking while you visit the ESB or the Park is going to be expensive. You won't enjoy the trip into and out of the city, either -- traffic can be a nightmare in a car, letalone on a bike.

My opinion only...
I concur with above and you could stay at a hotel on the coast of CT or north of NYC and commute via the Metro North train. This would be much more pleasant and you would avoid dodging taxis in the city.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:10 AM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Been there done it, it's not that bad. Bring your wallet though, it's gonna cost you. Assuming you are coming from the south/west, Jersey Pike cross into NYC on the GW bridge and take the Henry Hudson Highway South (9A) to 46th St. You will see the USS Intrepid on your right. 46th will bring you to the Marriott Marquis at Times Square. turn right into the hotel lobby. They will not let you park there but if you cross directly across the street (45th) there's an underground parking garage where you can park securely.
There's a lot to see within walking distance. The before mentioned Intripid, Times Square, theater district, Madam Tussauds, (recommended) Empire State Building, etc. You can take a cab or subway to Ground Zero (south) or Central Park (north)
When you leave exit the parking garage, turn left (have to one way) and follow it back to 9A North. follow that to the Sawmill, Cross County, Hutchison parkways to Ct.
Enjoy. It'll cost you about $400 to stay and $50 to park.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:42 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,132 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Thousands of parking garages in Manhattan....ICON is probably the most popular one. Literally like...every other block, there are ICON parking garages.

New York is a very fun city to hang out in and have fun, and see sites. My wife and I go there for a 2 or 3 day weekend several times a year.

As for riding in NYC....not what I'd call pleasurable.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:57 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

I grew up in NYC and enjoy driving in the organized chaos. I am not sure if I am crazy enough to ride a motorcycle there.
If I ever do I plan on parking here:
http://www.risingwolfgarage.com/contact-us.html

Call ahead for availability. I would park there, then take subway, bus, walk or cabs.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:53 AM
Scrambler900
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I live and ride in NYC everyday. To me it is kinda fun and challenging. There are parking garages everywhere but it is going to cost you. If you want a real NYC experience do not do what others said and stay out of the city and take the train in, to me that's lame. Walk by the Empire State but don't wait int that line, go to Top of the Rock instead. It is about half the price and the same view from the top. Take a boat tour from the Westside Highway area that is the best way to see the entire city in a few hours. They usually go from there over into the East River under the most awesome part of the city which is the bridges on the river.

If you want anymore advice shoot me a PM I can give you all kinds of places to go to see the real NYC not just the tourist NYC.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:33 AM
NYC.streetkid
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Absolutely stay in the city . . that is part of the NYC experience . . Also, for best bang for your buck (free) . . . ride down to Staten Island Ferry on your bikes right before sunset on Saturday or Sunday (when it's not packed) . . . take the ferry and check out the skyline while the sun is setting on the buildings. When you get on the other side, ride it right back so you get to see the skyline lit up! I like riding in the city. Not the best of course, but it's an experience. Park close to the booth if possible so the parking lot attendant can keep an eye on your bikes. Usually they will help you out and point out a place (usually not a parking spot) if you tip them.

Last edited by NYC.streetkid; 03-03-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:39 AM
sjef
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Watch for potholes in the spring. I lost a 24 foot boat trailer on the Cross Bronx a few years ago. I think they patched over it.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:26 PM
Ratbike_Mike
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CJHog
...and you would avoid dodging taxis in the city.
Taxi's aren't so much a problem. It's the pedestrians that don't give a sh*t what they walk in front of.

Another option as far as getting around near Times Square/Central Park are the rickshaw guys (Pedicab I think it's called). These guys know the area well and they bob/weave through taxis, pedestrians and any other obstacle to get you places pretty quickly (sometimes it's a white-knuckle experience, but I've always found it to be a fun way to get around). There are no set rates either so always negotiate on the fare BEFORE you climb in for the ride, otherwise you'll be ridiculously over-charged. They also do 1-hour tours and the like (at pretty reasonable rates).

Quick Reply: New York City Visit