General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty question

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 05:55 PM
borican1979
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty question

Will warranty or extended Warranty void if I install exhaust, full pack and intake? Just curious because one of my co-workers told me it will. The dealer said if they install the parts it will not void the warranty. Who telling the truth? Please help me out.

V/r,
borican1979

Old 03-02-2014, 06:00 PM
Markk9
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If you read the extended service plan, if the modification can be found to be the cause of the damage, it will not be covered.

It's really going to be up to each dealership. If the damage is large, or questionable, they can send out an estimator to check out your bike.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:39 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Markk9
If you read the extended service plan, if the modification can be found to be the cause of the damage, it will not be covered.

It's really going to be up to each dealership. If the damage is large, or questionable, they can send out an estimator to check out your bike.
What he said.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:17 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

...It's really going to be up to each dealership...
While this may sound like a trivial point, the determination is actually done by the issuing policy's underwriter which is probably not going to be the dealer.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:28 PM
jurgie
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by borican1979
Will warranty or extended Warranty void if I install exhaust, full pack and intake? Just curious because one of my co-workers told me it will. The dealer said if they install the parts it will not void the warranty. Who telling the truth? Please help me out.

V/r,
borican1979
Its up to the dealer if they are going to install I dont see a problem. My dealer lets me do what I want,

Old 03-02-2014, 07:28 PM
zyonsdream
Tourer

If the dealer stated that it would not void the warranty if they install it, get it in writing. That would give you legal recourse if there was an issue and the warranty didn't cover it.

From my understanding, you have a 1 year warranty on HD branded parts if the dealer installs. Other than that, the dealer wont warranty parts.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:32 PM
Rootro
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only if the modification is the cause of future problems. HD will find any way possible to link it to the modifications. I had an issue with my electronic throttle, they tried to not cover it because I change the hand grips myself. They did end up covering in the end.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:49 PM
borican1979
4th Gear

okay because i purchase the extended warranty and now feel like i should of not gotten it. HD said it will fine and in the manual said if it is determined that the mod did the damage then im **** out of luck. For my understanding I have 90 days to revoke my warranty and get the money back. But I just want to make sure before I do this and dont screw myself in anyway. Thank you gents for the info.....

Old 03-03-2014, 01:36 AM
Markk9
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want to do more than just a stage 1 upgrade, I would not get the extended service plan. Also you need to remember that it's not an extended warranty, it's a service plan. H-D covers the bike for 2 years under the factory warranty, any thing over than is the service plan.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:52 AM
borican1979
4th Gear

If you want to do more than just a stage 1 upgrade, I would not get the extended service plan. Also you need to remember that it's not an extended warranty, it's a service plan. H-D covers the bike for 2 years under the factory warranty, any thing over than is the service plan.
Im sticking to just simple vance & hines short shot and fuel pack plus a filter. Okay under stood I purchased the extended service plan because i thought i needed it. Me getting it was it worthless to get it???

Last edited by borican1979; 03-03-2014 at 02:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Warranty question