General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pak?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 09:36 AM
Fuzzman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pak?

So I have been running these V&H shortshots for a few years now. So now I get the fuelpak. When I find the settings I need they all say high air flow intake. I have the stock air cleaner with a K&N filter. Do I have to have a different air cleaner set up? Or will it be ok? And also, how in the heck do I fit the connector and the setting box under my seat?! I mean I'm worried I'm gonna pull wires out, break connectors, etc. Anyway thanks in advance.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:54 AM
jmb79
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you want to see any performance gains, you'll need a high flow air cleaner. Pipes alone just give you a different sound. Also, the fuel pack won't help with pipes alone. Pipes + a/c + fuel pack = improved performance.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:20 AM
Fuzzman
Road Captain

Thanks jmb79 I appreciate it.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:54 PM
jojo2dog
Road Captain

I"ve been running a fuelpak with Rinehart Churchill exhaust a K&N stock upgrade air filter for a year and the bike runs fine, and you will notice a big difference, there is a video on the vance and hines web sight that shows the install, and shows how to turn it to make it fit. I have a 2008 superglide and it is a tight fit, the K&N filter will flow enough air and you don"t have to change the system unless you want to. there is a lot of good info on there web sight and if you get stuck email them they will help

Old 03-03-2014, 01:10 PM
Fuzzman
Road Captain

Thanks jojo. Got all but the tuner itself under there. But just want to make sure its under there enough I dont smash it when I sit on the seat. I'll get it figured out, I got some time it's still raining and snowing around here.. Thanks again

Old 03-03-2014, 02:17 PM
sioux565
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What kind of bike do you have Fuzzman? I ran the Fuelpak on my Sportster, and the installation was not fun at all.

I agree with the others. Adding a high flow air cleaner with what you have already will give you the greatest performance increase.

You can also e-mail V&H with you current setup and they will e-mail you back with a correct tune.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:50 PM
jojo2dog
Road Captain

I'm in ohio weather is so bad this year ,the roads suck, will have to waite till after they fill all the potholes to get the bike out,

Old 03-03-2014, 04:34 PM
HBomb74
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought I was gonna break mine too when I installed it. I had my laptop next to me and was watching the video on YouTube to install properly. Worked out fine. Initially, the nubs on the bottom of my seat did not fit all the way into the hole in the hole. I just sat on it and rode, eventually everything fit.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:09 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

I have a similar setup as you. I have V&H Straightshot slip ons and the stock intake with a k&n filter and a V&H fuelpak. I got the bike used with a stage one screamin eagle air intake and ended up putting the stock intake back on due to issues with the screamin eagle intake. I honestly didn't feel any difference in performance going from the screamin eagle intake to the stock intake. I asked V&H if there was any settings that needed to change going with the stock intake and a K&N filter and they said no. I haven't noticed any difference in performance at all. You will be fine with the stock intake.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:52 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

You must have a different fuelpak than I do. It was incredibly easy to do the ECM plug in. All you have to do is press down on the release tabs on the wire grouping harnesses and not force anything.

If you really want to be sure about your settings, email VH from their fulpak page and tell them what your concern is. You an also ask them for settings for fine tuning later. For example, if bike is still running a shade too hot for you, they can give you a few new numbers that you punch in and it fixes it.

They always return my emails same day, same hour even.

Last edited by SoCalSoftailSlim; 03-03-2014 at 06:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Fuel pak?