General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Canadian Competition Bureau Complaint

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 12:08 PM
Fozzy4325
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Canadian Competition Bureau Complaint

Well lets see how long its going to take the Canadian government to fob me off.

I am so Phissed off with Deeleys of Canada and their monopoly I just had to make an official complaint about it.

I priced up parts went to my bike builders and gave him the list of things I still need. He looked at them and said, well you actually get almost a better deal than we get from Harley. We can buy these but by the time we order it and put our profit on top it will cost you more than buying directly from Harley.

In Canada no custom shops or Dealers are allowed to buy directly from the States. Shops that have done this have lost their HD license. All OEM parts have to purchased via Deeleys HD in Canada, then Deeleys buy from HD USA. So by the time I get the parts its had two or three mark-ups.

Because of this my bike parts are now about 5 - 8k more than if were able to buy directly from HD USA.

So I have launched an official complaint about this.

But I don't think its going to go anywhere.

http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/e...c.nsf/eng/home

Old 03-04-2014, 12:18 PM
patrickd
Elite HDF Member

Is it legal for someone on the American side of the border, a private citizen, to send you parts?

Good luck.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:33 PM
Fozzy4325
Road Master

It is legal i would just need to pay for customs charges. however UPS has gone crazy for non commercial transportation. I purchased a part on Ebay for $45 and it cost me $48 for shipping. and i still had to pay $19 in import and local taxes

Old 03-04-2014, 01:12 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I am sorry to hear that, I quit buying parts from Deeley for a while. I live 25mins away from Washington border. HD original parts free ship order over $150 plus 20% discount and more. For aftermarket parts, I save at least 30-40% buying in states, always free shipping. I do want to support Canada but I finally gave up.
FYI, do not buy anything shipped by UPS or Fedex, choose USPS shipping, the max they charge is $5cad broker fee. Your complaint is a waste time imao
You get better deals from the following stores but still average 20% more.
http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca
https://www.dreamcycles.net

Old 03-04-2014, 01:19 PM
Fozzy4325
Road Master

Originally Posted by 128auto
I am sorry to hear that, I quit buying parts from Deeley for a while. I live 25mins away from Washington border. HD original parts free ship order over $150 plus 20% discount and more. For aftermarket parts, I save at least 30-40% buying in states, always free shipping. I do want to support Canada but I finally gave up.
FYI, do not buy anything shipped by UPS or Fedex, choose USPS shipping, the max they charge is $5cad broker fee. Your complaint is a waste time imao
You get better deals from the following stores but still average 20% more.
http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca
https://www.dreamcycles.net
Yea my nephew lives in Mapelridge and when ever I come over I use shipit and pick it up over the border and pay the tax.. that's if they want me too some times they are just .. oh that's ok carry one..

However they are catching onto this an i was told of two after market dealers who lost their license with Harley as some how they were able to check the creditcard number of the purchase which was linked back to Canada. Not sure how true that is but it sounds kosha.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:13 PM
sonoffatboy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

over the last 17 years..i probably paid the university tuition for one of deeleys offspring by overpaying for parts ect..and the stealers up here for labour are way higher too...if our U.S. buddies knew what dealers charges to re and re a set of tires...they would flip ...

support your local INDIE!

Old 03-04-2014, 02:24 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

There is a great Independent shop to the south of you in Lethbridge called Sideline Motorcycles. Check with Tim next time you need something.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:41 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

With our dollar being as low as it is now, the only one's who can get a decent savings on HD stuff and bikes are Americans crossing our border into Canada.
Deeley will continue to make his own countrymen bend over and take it.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:02 PM
raggmann
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a buddy that will re-box and ship to me up here but I figure it's a good reason for a road trip.
I've also been using Canadasmotorcycle when I can and am very satisfied with their service & pricing.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:26 PM
loadie
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are close to a US border get a free kinek account (www.kinek.com) and enjoy the free stateside shipping to the US address they provide. Many places can't/won't accept international credit cards for internet shipments but have no issue if you use PayPal. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Canadian Competition Bureau Complaint