General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

welds on Titan lift tables

Old 03-04-2014, 11:42 PM
The Dude
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default welds on Titan lift tables

I have been looking for lifts the past few weeks and have narrowed it down to the Titan 1500 XLT with electric. Question is, How are the welds? The only bad reviews of the Titan lifts I have read, have been crappy looking welds, lots of splatter and one was on this forum, but i believe it to be on the smaller 1000# Titan lift. Anyone with a 1500 shed a little light on this. I am however a little turned off because they advertise on their website that their factories are ISO9001 and I am pretty sure they are not in the USA and then show a picture of their warehouse with no name on the building and a empty parking lot. Seems a little odd to advertise a building with no name.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:48 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Spatter is something you'll just have to deal with when it comes to short circuit mig... it doesn't mean the weld is bad. Proper settings can reduce spatter, along with special ant-spatters, but it will still exist. Most places just clean it off.

I have no experience with these lift tables but I am a welder by trade, and a pipe welder if you want to be specific about it. I have run a lot of spools of MIG wire in a fab shop... it is what it is.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:33 AM
The Dude
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I am a service fitter myself. I realize the spatter isn't a big deal other than detail ,but i had heard some of the welds look cold and in fact it was mentioned to look like bird crap and to be arc welded instead of looking like a mig. Sounded pretty poor and makes me second quess ordering one .

Old 03-05-2014, 12:40 AM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by The Dude
I am a service fitter myself. I realize the spatter isn't a big deal other than detail ,but i had heard some of the welds look cold and in fact it was mentioned to look like bird crap and to be arc welded instead of looking like a mig. Sounded pretty poor and makes me second quess ordering one .
Like I said, no experience myself... I figured that stuff would be MIG welded. There are a bunch of other brands out there, and it always pays to pay a little more for something better.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:49 AM
Rdgray
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Building with no name. Sounds like a song.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:26 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

why would anyone take a picture of their building with no name? most likely some overseas crap.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:12 AM
lowbed
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it would be very unlikely that a factory would stick weld anything, they need the production of a mig gun to keep the lights burning in their unnamed buildings. My guess would be the wire speed & heat not set right.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:31 AM
ALUCARD19
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
why would anyone take a picture of their building with no name? most likely some overseas crap.
Maybe being made in North Korea. Oh my bad wrong thread

Old 03-05-2014, 09:52 AM
Postal Trucker
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the Titan 1500 XLTE that you are looking at. I haven't looked at the welds. When I purchased mine I went to the warehouse location to pick it up and save money on shipping (I live less than 2 hours away). They did have a sign in the ground in front of the storage building, also they are owned by another company and have another name on the sales building across the street.

If you are close enough go there and check them out, they have a room with all their lifts set up and functional.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:59 AM
Bagger Bum
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lift

I have the 1500 have had it for 2 trouble free years. Mine looks as good as other lifts I have seen. I use it for my ultra and streetglide as well as a four wheeler with no issues. I would buy one again without second thought.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: welds on Titan lift tables