General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Ride on New Bike

Old 03-05-2014, 10:06 AM
mbspark
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Ride on New Bike

Bought a '96 Custom from a buddy of mine. It sat for 4 years. Changed engine and primary oil, new oil filter, new gas, tore apart and cleaned the carb, new battery and finally yesterday I washed it and took it for a ride!

The sound is amazing and the power is unreal. I couldn't tell if the tear on my face was from the cold wind or my joy. 2 Outstanding items are, the turn signals won't flash. The hazards do. I know the lights aren't stock and I can see where a 3rd wire was cut, so something is going on there, but my buddy said the lights worked when he had it. All of them light up, just don't blink. And also at idle, I have something rattling I have to track down.

Here are some pics. It has a custom ghost flames paint job. I also ordered some new bars because I wasn't sure I liked the ones on it, but I will admit the ones on there are comfortable.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:10 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Congrats and ride safe, nice bike.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:11 AM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Nice evo softail.

What has been done to the motor? I see it has an aftermarket cam position sensor.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:18 AM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Nice scoot! Have fun and be safe riding this year! SJ Ron

Old 03-05-2014, 10:20 AM
mbspark
Advanced

Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter
Nice evo softail.

What has been done to the motor? I see it has an aftermarket cam position sensor.
No clue. I'm still unraveling all of the bikes mysteries. I'm owner #3. My buddy is owner #2 and he got it from the first guy after he needed the money to help with taxes (my friend owns a tax firm and first owner was in deep with IRS).

You never know who is on these forums. Maybe the F.O. is on here and can tell me about his bike

Old 03-05-2014, 10:25 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Pull the lens covers turn the blinker on and push the bulb in. Does it blink? Nice looking scoot bro.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:33 AM
mbspark
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
Pull the lens covers turn the blinker on and push the bulb in. Does it blink? Nice looking scoot bro.
I'll try that tonight when I get home. Or knowing me, I'll drive home for lunch and test it out since I'm from a generation with zero patience

It was cloudy yesterday and pictures don't really show how beautiful the paint job and flames are.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:50 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Very nice looking bike. Why did your friend just let it sit for that long?

Old 03-05-2014, 11:06 AM
mbspark
Advanced

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Very nice looking bike. Why did your friend just let it sit for that long?
I've known him for 4 years now, so right about the time he stopped riding. When I first saw the harley it was in his garage at his Tax Firm, not at his residence and the garage was just packed full of crap and you could barely get to the bike. He mentioned he needed to change the oil and get a new battery and he was too busy to get around to it. I joked saying I would do those things for him if he let me borrow it for a few weekends. Nothing ever came of it. I kept telling him that I wanted to buy it if he was just going to let it sit, but my fear was if I had a bike then he'd want to ride with me, so I kept looking to buy my own so we could both go on rides. Finally over some Elk steaks (we're hunting buddies) he said he was done riding. I said so if I buy your bike you're done riding? He said 100% done. 2 months, 5k and a hand shake later, it was in my garage. I called him to tell him about my first ride on it and now he wants to ride again

Old 03-05-2014, 11:13 AM
Aaresz
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice looking bike!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Ride on New Bike