General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride Planners

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 11:37 AM
btharris24
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Ride Planners

Looking for a simple/user friendly way to plan day trips for me and the wifey on the bike. I know you can map routes on the HD site and download to a GPS which sounds great but I can never get it to work right, what are some other alternatives?

Thanks

Old 03-05-2014, 11:45 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I look at the maps on my iPad and take pictures of them with it. I pinpoint stops and locations and if I get lost, we stop and look. Pretty easy.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:21 PM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm curious about phone apps for ride planning with way points. I'd like to be able to use GPS without it trying to make me always be on the interstate.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:23 PM
tOSUSteve
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 03-05-2014, 01:23 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by btharris24
Looking for a simple/user friendly way to plan day trips for me and the wifey on the bike. I know you can map routes on the HD site and download to a GPS which sounds great but I can never get it to work right, what are some other alternatives?

Thanks
I Google maps and, if it is complicated, I print the map. If not, I just carry my iphone and pull it out if I need to check my route.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:29 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Firewoman
I'm curious about phone apps for ride planning with way points. I'd like to be able to use GPS without it trying to make me always be on the interstate.
You might be able to do it using Google maps on the computer and the google maps app. Google maps on the internet lets you put in all the way points and custom changes you want and, if you are signed in at Google, you can save your map. I just saw on my phone that my iPhone Google Maps app now lets me access my online Google maps history. Not clear if it lets me open saved maps yet.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:39 PM
OsoFat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Garmin Nuvi that lets me plan trips using waypoints. When I start a route, it asks me which waypoint I want to hit first, then it just leads me along my chosen path. You can do this right on the device or plan it on a computer and download the route/s. HD Ride Planner works well, if you put in enough waypoints to force it on the roads you want. Garmin Basecamp works, but it's not very intuitive. I prefer planning on HD, then just downloading to the GPS. Only thing that might screw it up, is that you actually have to hit each waypoint or it will keep telling you to make a u-turn. You can avoid that, by putting waypoints after a turn and on the right side of a divided highway, etc.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:42 PM
OsoFat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
You might be able to do it using Google maps on the computer and the google maps app. Google maps on the internet lets you put in all the way points and custom changes you want and, if you are signed in at Google, you can save your map. I just saw on my phone that my iPhone Google Maps app now lets me access my online Google maps history. Not clear if it lets me open saved maps yet.
Last I checked, you can view your saved Google maps, but it will only navigate from point A to B(final destination). In other words, it won't follow the route you want or use waypoints. Of course, you could visually follow the route you built, but the phone won't tell you anything about the next turn or distances, etc.

Bear

Old 03-05-2014, 02:52 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Originally Posted by Firewoman
Teresa, I don't know what you have but I'm using "inRoute" on my iPad. You can have 5 waypoints for free. Anymore and it costs. It'll show alternate routes, mileage and travel time too.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:01 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

I'm pretty sure most GPS devices you can select to avoid a certain road (Freeway). If not you can just pick your next spot (waypoint) so you would have to avoid whichever road you wanted to avoid. A town or landmark or such should work. Used to do it before everybody had GPS and smart phones, back in the MapQuest days...LOL

Quick Reply: Ride Planners