General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New info for Canadian members looking to import

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 04:48 PM
blakforest
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New info for Canadian members looking to import

Hey everyone,

New member here, first post. I'll be sure to jump over to the "new member area" shortly for proper intro.

Anyways, I just bought my first bike ('08 883L) about 10 days ago from NY and imported in Ontario. I got so wrapped up in buying stuff for it off ebay I just got around to today calling in to the RIV inspection station (Canadian tire) to book an appointment for tomorrow.... I now wish I had got it in right away.

The guy said they got a fax this morning from the RIV and now all bikes imported have to be submitted with photo documentation to prove all the compliance items are in check. The RIV will review the photos and then clear form 2.

This means that everyone for sure will have to have a KPH speedo, (unless you have the harley digital dual) No speedo stickers, no laid back inspections either. Apparently mileage must be corrected or passed clearance from the RIV to reflect proper bike mileage.

I found the Dakota Digital speedo on Amazon for $285 +/- (retail is $399) It plug & play, can be re-calibrated upon installation to reflect bike mileage and also has fuel level indicator etc.. I was counting on it getting passed with stock speedo but now I'm scrambling to get this in before my deadline date... just want anyone else to have a heads up.

cheers

Old 03-05-2014, 06:46 PM
loadie
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Odd that that info is not on the RIV site. In fact, their checklist
( http://www.riv.ca/ImporterChecklist.aspx ) still shows odometer labels are OK. Sad to see how Deeley has wormed their way into the import process.

PS welcome to the form!

Old 03-05-2014, 07:59 PM
blakforest
Stage III

I noticed the RIV Form 2 sheet had more detailed information on the compliance requirements than the RIV website. I mentioned to the Canadian Tire guy about a sticker and he said thats a no-go because they don't view it as permanent.

Funny I was in Mackie's a week ago and someone in there was telling me how I would have to change my speedo out, no stickers etc. I didn't think anything of it at the time but seems like they knew that was coming.

thanks for the welcome!

Old 03-05-2014, 09:40 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by blakforest
Hey everyone,

New member here, first post. I'll be sure to jump over to the "new member area" shortly for proper intro.

Anyways, I just bought my first bike ('08 883L) about 10 days ago from NY and imported in Ontario. I got so wrapped up in buying stuff for it off ebay I just got around to today calling in to the RIV inspection station (Canadian tire) to book an appointment for tomorrow.... I now wish I had got it in right away.

The guy said they got a fax this morning from the RIV and now all bikes imported have to be submitted with photo documentation to prove all the compliance items are in check. The RIV will review the photos and then clear form 2.

This means that everyone for sure will have to have a KPH speedo,
(unless you have the harley digital dual) No speedo stickers, no laid back inspections either. Apparently mileage must be corrected or passed clearance from the RIV to reflect proper bike mileage.

I found the Dakota Digital speedo on Amazon for $285 +/- (retail is $399) It plug & play, can be re-calibrated upon installation to reflect bike mileage and also has fuel level indicator etc.. I was counting on it getting passed with stock speedo but now I'm scrambling to get this in before my deadline date... just want anyone else to have a heads up.

cheers

This is not the case in MB, plenty of used bikes here with MPH only.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:12 PM
speeddaddy
Tourer
Received 495 Likes on 153 Posts

This is a ridiculous case of proving "free trade" is a complete joke.

How about my '71 chev 4x4, has mph speedo.
How about my '67 Galaxie 500, mph speedo.

We are able to have the mental capacity to do the math while driving old ****, but not new? Sounds like a good laywer could take this all the way to the supreme court. Let your politicians know why they will not be voted back in.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:31 PM
blakforest
Stage III

Originally Posted by 2kids3pets
Same goes for here in ontario, I did a lot of reading before I imported and the general consensus was that the inspection guys didn't give a hoot about the speedo being in MPH... thus why I didn't bother to factor in buying a new one.

But RIV caught wind of that and they now will be the ones to review the pictures themselves to verify the compliance... the pictures are taken during the inspection by & submitted by who's doing the inspection.

I heard harley dealerships want $800 to change one out.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:08 AM
alcotune
Tourer

My neighbor just imported a Lowrider last week from the US and he is getting it inspected today. He was talking to the guy at CT a few days ago and was told that he will need the KPH Speedo and possibly a stock exhaust. Luckly he got the pipes from his last Dyna but he had to get the Speedo from HD.

What gets me is there are a few bike importers around selling bikes (with inspections) with the MPH Speedo and lacking the separate tail light (I got a Sportster with MPH).

his seems backwards to me, if you are importing for personal use you should be allowed to have the MPH if your OK with it BUT a company that imports 100s of Bikes to sell should be made to change it.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:40 AM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by blakforest
Same goes for here in ontario, I did a lot of reading before I imported and the general consensus was that the inspection guys didn't give a hoot about the speedo being in MPH... thus why I didn't bother to factor in buying a new one.

But RIV caught wind of that and they now will be the ones to review the pictures themselves to verify the compliance... the pictures are taken during the inspection by & submitted by who's doing the inspection.

I heard harley dealerships want $800 to change one out.
Guess my point is that each province has its own rules regarding this. To say its all of Canada just isn't true.....yet

Old 03-06-2014, 11:20 AM
Recycled
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guess my point is that each province has its own rules regarding this. To say its all of Canada just isn't true.....yet
Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it isn't so. RIV is a federal agency here in Canada, making you subseptable to the same regulations. Doesn't mean any bikes that have been previously imported need to meet these new standards. Any doubts, give them a call.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:10 PM
cmeaney
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the light side, the good news is, you won't be needing to drive too soon.

Quick Reply: New info for Canadian members looking to import