General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build with my 16 yr. old son - advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 08:55 PM
jackod
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Build with my 16 yr. old son - advice

My 16 yr. old son is asking me to build a bike with him. It will be a big learning experience for both of us since I am just learning myself but, I would like to do it. Naturally he wants it to ride as well and I would expect we will have it a while.

My question is: Is there a good place to search for a bike that needs work? Can I buy a salvage bike that needs work or should I avoid a salvage title? Every search I do seems to lead me back to the salvaged bikes.

Any model of HD that would be too complicated for a couple of new guys like us? I appreciate any advice.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:30 PM
HeadoftheBeast
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

What area are you in? I see older Evos and Shovels on Craigslist pretty frequently. I'm sure you could find something that would fit the bill.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:32 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Late model Evo softail!

Old 03-06-2014, 05:24 AM
garand
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it were me I would find a used sporty engine, transmission, forks and wheels. Then I would buy a SPS or Paughco frame, computer and wiring bundle, bars, grips, cables, brake lines, brakes, possibly a cheap MIG welder to attach tabs for mounting rear fender or tank etc. Buy a good book or DVD on building bikes.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:10 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,381 Likes on 4,119 Posts

A lot depends on how much mechanical ability and knowledge you have. If you're a knowledgable "shop guy" and work on cars and such and are good at it, have most of the tools, etc., then making the switch to a bike won't be a big deal with a good shop manual.
I find that talking about a "build" is easy, actually doing it (and doing a good job) not so much.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:13 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
Late model Evo softail!
but you can't have mine. Actually I would suggest any thing pre-99 because they are carbureted and tuning a carb is becoming a lost art that your son could learn. It is not a hard thing to learn, just one that is not used much anymore and therefore something the younger generation knows nothing about. Salvaged bikes can be a pain depending on your state laws but then again so can a ground up custom, again depending on you state laws. Good luck,have fun and keep us posted, pics are nice too, everybody likes pics.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:24 AM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not gonna give advise on the bike but wanted to say how WAY COOL for your son and you to do a project like that together. Memories for a life time. Good Luck.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:26 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Have fun makin memories with your kid! I have an un restored 56 chevy wagon thats going to sit here til my kid turns 12. Might take us till he's 18 to finish it.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:02 AM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Get any old evo, and restore it... but please don't chop it up. Evo's are super easy to work on, and it will be a good learning experience.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:34 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Why don't you ask your son what he wants to build.

The hot thing right now is restoring 70s vintage Japanese bikes like Honda's CBR, or early generation sport bikes like a Suzuki Katana.

If he wants a Harley, cool, but build something he wants and would be proud to show his buddies.

Quick Reply: Build with my 16 yr. old son - advice