General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good deal or pass...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 06:01 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Good deal or pass...

http://myrtlebeach.craigslist.org/mcy/4361310748.html Fat boy Lo 2k miles. 2011

I sold my bike and am looking to replace it with American made.
At this point I am leaning toward the Indian because I am used to metric maintenance. But this seems like a great deal. I "built" one on the Harley site came to $19900. Not worth it. however I would to spend another $2400 on it to make it a "tourer" Harley is asking $14999 for these bit they probably throw in extended warranties in which case this isn't a great deal' He has a payoff too and I am a cash buyer. How does that work?

At the end of the day with my necessary additions, shield,rack, backrest,, bags. all Harley, I am all in for less than $15,000 ($8000 less than I am ready to buy an Indian for) The big baggers don't work for me. The Heritage is what I would basically turn it into, but the Heritage has spokes and I won't buy a bike with tubed tires.

Has any one bought a bike with a lien on it? I don't want Harley involved. they have been known to broker deals but when the used price was low they won't finish the deal and resell the bike, ACV Trade on the bike is $11,800 So I may not have to worry about that,

Maybe it's not that great a deal. Don't know.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:04 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

I sold my 12 for $1,500 more,so it sounds like a great deal to me.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:16 PM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Scratch what I wrote about Harley I didnt see the end of your post.
As for the bike I'd certainly consider that deal if I was looking for a softail.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:00 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Loc_Tite
Scratch what I wrote about Harley I didnt see the end of your post.
As for the bike I'd certainly consider that deal if I was looking for a softail.
Not really looking for a Soft Tail. Was looking for a RK Custom. but I like the look of the Fat Boy Lo when I first saw them and rode an FXST last Summer and liked ok. I really did not want to spend over $12K on any Harley. This one was close enough and practically new.

Has anyone bought a bike with a Lein on it? Normally I pay cash and expect the title. Never bought anything used with a lien. He says he owes $12,800 probably to HD Finance so I doubt he would tale less than he owes. KBB trade value is $11800 (not considering miles.) Suprise Harley is not look at this for resale if it's such a great deal. They put $16999 on this. But it has everything I would add to the other but the bags and engine guard, Too much IMO.

http://www.myrtlebeachharley.com/def...family=softail

I will let it sit and see if it sells. Because he has a lien a lot of people will be turned off. I don't like that Idea either. I am guessing he is in a little deep and tried to sell it to HD and they lowballed him.

Last edited by TenMidgets; 03-06-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:47 PM
portlandron
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My current bike was purchased from private party that had a HD Finance loan on it. We meet at my credit union. They contacted HD Finance and handled the transfer of money. Title was sent to my credit union and the owner came in there and signed over the title.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:00 PM
lencap
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I've bought several bikes with liens on them. They are generally good deals since, as you noticed, most people don't want the hassle.

If the loan is with HD you can write an agreement that allows you to pay HD finance directly to release the lien. Whatever extra money the buyer owes has to be paid to HD finance as well. If you are paying more than the finance payoff you may want to negotiate a lower price.

HD finance is pretty easy to deal with. If you still are concerned work out a deal with the local HD dealership. Offer to get an oil change (if you need one) or something else that puts a token amount of money in their pocket, and in exchange ask them to handle the fiance payoff for you.

Lots of ways to do this. As long as you have a signed agreement with specific terms you're likely to be fine. You also want to be sure that there is no other lien on the bike - check that out too. If HD finance has the title they should be the only lien holder on the title. If there is more than one check it out. You can also ask the seller for a copy of the title, but he likely won't have it. In that case ask for a copy of his insurance statement (FS1). That will list all the lien holders.

Good luck.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:00 PM
lowebudget
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont think the lien will turn anyone off. Find out who hes financed through. Write up a bill of sale...get notarized, contact lien holder and let them know that you will be purchasing the bike. Pay the guy, take the bike, leave your contact info and tell him when he receives the title to mail it to you. In virginia i think you can also go to the dmv and fill out a form for purchase of a vehicle with a lien on it as well for a title transfer. But I dont have a lot of experience that way. I've only done it by bill of sale, notarized, notify lien holder, take delivery of the bike and wait for him to mail you title once he gets it. General rule of thumb for bill of sale. Sellers name and physical address (no po boxes) buyer name and address (again no po boxes) date, sale price, odometer reading, description of motorcycle, year make model etc, signature of both notarized. Just from my experience I've always had good luck. The price seems really good. So dont let the lien scare you. Good luck!

Old 03-06-2014, 08:30 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by lowebudget
i dont think the lien will turn anyone off. Find out who hes financed through. Write up a bill of sale...get notarized, contact lien holder and let them know that you will be purchasing the bike. Pay the guy, take the bike, leave your contact info and tell him when he receives the title to mail it to you. In virginia i think you can also go to the dmv and fill out a form for purchase of a vehicle with a lien on it as well for a title transfer. But I dont have a lot of experience that way. I've only done it by bill of sale, notarized, notify lien holder, take delivery of the bike and wait for him to mail you title once he gets it. General rule of thumb for bill of sale. Sellers name and physical address (no po boxes) buyer name and address (again no po boxes) date, sale price, odometer reading, description of motorcycle, year make model etc, signature of both notarized. Just from my experience I've always had good luck. The price seems really good. So dont let the lien scare you. Good luck!
not sure that I can register the bike without a title. Maybe a notarized Bill of Sale but only for a short period of time then the DMV wants to see the title. I can't take the risk this guy "forgets" to send the title or something happens to him. I think we only get 30 days to show a title after a Bill of Sale is presented.

The only way I think I can do this deal is to go to my Bank of America. Have THEM wire the funds to the lien holder and have the lien holder send them the title and they can forward it to me. Unless the guy has to sign the title over. Then I have to find him ........ I know it's a PIA here to do this and it takes some trust in the seller that he will follow through after the money has been transferred. Not that he would do something off the cuff but ..out of sight out of mind sort of thing. Title comes in the mail...he puts it aside and forgets....people are not exactly on top of it. Especially people who buy new bikes put 2000 miles on in three years and realize they don't want them.

I almost bought a Tacoma this way. Again a great deal at wholesale fair book on a 2013. It got too complicated with Toyota Finance and I would have had $23K sitting out there in nowhere land for a few weeks waiting for the title and not been able to register the truck as I would only have a Bill of Sale even notarized DMV is screwy. I told the guy to sell it at Carmax for the same money and he did. They paid his price. I knew they would.

I just sold a car to someone who was getting a loan. That was easy. IF his loan was local we could both go to his creditor and I could pay them off and get the title. Its waiting for the title that is the issue.

Good idea to see his insurance to make sure he has no ex wives placing liens on his stuff although I don't think that would show up there. I knew someone in a horror story where a guy bought a car where there was another lien holder on a judgement. What a mess. Whenever you deal with the DMV everything has to be perfect.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:38 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Black Book Powersports:
Year: 2011
Make: Harley-Davidson
Model: FLSTFB Softail Fat Boy Lo
Model Type: Cruiser
Displacement: 1584
Cylinders: 2
Finance Advance: $12,350
MSRP: $16,299
Avg Retail: $13,720
Auction Wholesale $11,830
Clean Trade: $11,100
Fair Trade: $10,225

$12,800 is a good price with those low miles. Offer him $12,300. You have been looking for a bike for over a year!

Old 03-06-2014, 08:43 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

True, a lien is not really a problem, just a slight inconvenience. However, NO WAY would I ever pay the guy without a title in hand. A bill of sale is not ownership and having it notarized carries no weight. Work it out with your bank and the lender so the title gets sent to you.
Like said before, if the lender is HD go to the dealer and make the arrangements. If it's the selling dealer they should be happy to help, thinking they can retain a customer for service and parts.

Quick Reply: Good deal or pass...