General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GoPro mounting...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 09:52 AM
DLennartz
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default GoPro mounting...

Any tips out there on the least amount of vibration GoPro mounting? I'd prefer to mount facing forward on my EG... I've attached via a Ram Mount as shown with acceptable results. Just trying to improve the shaking if possible... thanks!

Attached Thumbnails GoPro mounting...-image.jpg  
Old 03-08-2014, 05:40 PM
prostar
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

http://hogtagcollar.com/ they have some sample video's on their site

Old 03-08-2014, 05:50 PM
Thor
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DLennartz
Any tips out there on the least amount of vibration GoPro mounting? I'd prefer to mount facing forward on my EG... I've attached via a Ram Mount as shown with acceptable results. Just trying to improve the shaking if possible... thanks!
I have a mount on lower fairing that does well. You still get the "wavy screen" while sitting at a light, but otherwise it isn't too bad. I also have one on the sharknose (doesn't apply to yours), and a helmet mount (ok, but I don't usually have helmet with me).

Old 03-08-2014, 06:34 PM
Drkknt
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GoPro

I about drove myself nuts trying to find a good place to mount my GoPro...and that was on a Stratoliner that ran smooth as glass. Anywhere I put it under hard throttle it always vibed-out. It did okay mounted on the highway bars but the least little bit I got aggressive on the throttle showed up as big vibration. I finally mounted mine on my helmet. Zero vibration problems there, though not the best vantage point for riding but at least it looked where I looked. Last time I was up at Deal's Gap I saw a BMW Adventure bike with the camera mounted on an arm that was attached to the passenger peg. The owner saw me looking at it and we got to talking...said that was a rock-solid mounting point and pretty good vantage especially on a hard lean to the camera side. I've never tried mounting it to the back, maybe that's something to explore. Good luck in your quest.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:53 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I mount my Hero 2 on top of my helmet.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:09 AM
Thor
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Drkknt
...Last time I was up at Deal's Gap I saw a BMW Adventure bike with the camera mounted on an arm that was attached to the passenger peg. The owner saw me looking at it and we got to talking...said that was a rock-solid mounting point and pretty good vantage especially on a hard lean to the camera side. I've never tried mounting it to the back, maybe that's something to explore. Good luck in your quest.
There's a guy on youtube that has a mount running off the passenger peg of his Street Glide, and it is perfect. Nice thing is, when he is doing right hand sweepers, it looks like the camera is rolling on the tarmac.
Sorry I don't know his name, or how to look it up...I'll search through my links in AM and try to find it.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:22 AM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

I bought the handlebar mount, and mount mine right in the light bar (between the headlamp and the passing light, kind of). Works well!

Old 03-09-2014, 12:35 AM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

For a couple of years I used the Ram Mount handlebar clamp system. Last year I found a ball mount that fits under the left hand mirror stem. I can now mount the Ram Mount clamp to that. It sits the camera a bit higher and also cleans up the handlebar as there's no u-clamp there now.

The clamp can be used on a passenger peg, engine guard, or saddle bag guard.

The 'old' way:

The new way:

Last edited by Deucedog; 03-09-2014 at 12:45 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:45 AM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 888 Likes on 533 Posts

I tried mount that goes on under the mirror stem on my RK and had way too much vibration, at idle or when rolling. For me the best results have been on the windshield using a suction cup mount or on the crash bar. The op didn't say if he had tried editing any of his videos with editing software, but it seems that after editing most of the vibration goes away.

Last edited by Hammerhead Pat; 03-09-2014 at 05:45 AM. Reason: mispelled word