General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to go bigger and better - Question

Old 03-08-2014, 08:04 PM
Jlister
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to go bigger and better - Question

Hey guys, I havent ridden a motorcycle in about 2 years. Before that i rode for about 4. My last bike was a yamaha v star 650. ive been getting the itch for a new bike since the beginning of the year and have been really liking the road glide. i am about 5'7" 170lbs and i was wondering if the road glide or street glide would be too heavy for me on the tight turns. so with my experience or lack there of and my size would the road glide but too big of a jump? trying to get some advice from people who made a decent size jump in the size of their bike and what they thought

Old 03-08-2014, 08:10 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlister
Hey guys, I havent ridden a motorcycle in about 2 years. Before that i rode for about 4. My last bike was a yamaha v star 650. ive been getting the itch for a new bike since the beginning of the year and have been really liking the road glide. i am about 5'7" 170lbs and i was wondering if the road glide or street glide would be too heavy for me on the tight turns. so with my experience or lack there of and my size would the road glide but too big of a jump? trying to get some advice from people who made a decent size jump in the size of their bike and what they thought
went from not riding for 20 years straight to a Wide Glide. You'll be fine. Take it a little slow and practice a lot, maybe do the msf course and definitely get the Ride Like a Pro dvd's.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:17 PM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it'll take a bit for you to get used to the weight at low speed. just take your time. and consider investing in some engine guards.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:20 PM
Jlister
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckw2
went from not riding for 20 years straight to a Wide Glide. You'll be fine. Take it a little slow and practice a lot, maybe do the msf course and definitely get the Ride Like a Pro dvd's.
ive taken the beginners msf course a couple years ago. maybe ill take the intermediate course thats good advice thanks man

Originally Posted by slozomby
it'll take a bit for you to get used to the weight at low speed. just take your time. and consider investing in some engine guards.
ya haha engine guards are a must i feel and i like the look that give

Old 03-08-2014, 08:25 PM
Bikeagraman
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You'll not have any issues with either RG or SG. Very stable at speed. Use good clutch control in the friction zone and a little bit of rear brake (or no brake at all) when going slow, such as when going through a parking lot. Just remember to never grab the front brake when going slow unless your front wheel is pointing straight ahead. A 4'11" Japanese girl weighing 100 lbs wet can ride a SG, so why can't you?

Old 03-08-2014, 08:52 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Along with what you already have in mind try checking out the Road king, heritage classic, and switchback then let the ride decide

Old 03-08-2014, 09:02 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

why don't you get your butt down to the nearest
HD dealership and test ride the two of them and
decide after that what you want to spend the
big bucks on

Old 03-08-2014, 09:06 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I am exactly the same size as you and I went from a Wide Glide to an Ultra Classic. After two years I never got over the top heavy feel with the tour pack on. I removed the tour pack and it felt like a totally different bike. So being 5'7 and 170 lbs I would be comfortable with a Street Glide or a Road King. When I test rode the Road Glide I felt like it was designed for a larger person. I didn't like the feel of the fairing being so far away. Good luck with your decision.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:27 PM
oldwarrior
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was 5' 7", 140 lbs when I went from a 91 fXR to a new 1995 FLHT with no problems, just took it easy to learn the FLHT handling.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:43 PM
swifty
Tourer
Received 87 Likes on 39 Posts

For me its is what kind of riding will you be doing???? A road glide is a big bike and if you and your riding crew do a lot of back roads then that bike could just make a day of riding a lot of work!
you just might want to rent a bike if you can, and ride it for a day before buying it. Lots of bikes in the dealerships around here that are touring bikes with low miles because people think they know how a bike will feel after 2 or 3 hours in the saddle. just my 2cts swifty

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Want to go bigger and better - Question