General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on saddle bag quick disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 02:26 PM
zyonsdream
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on saddle bag quick disconnect

I just ordered a set of hard saddle bags for my Deluxe and I want to install them using Harley's quick disconnect system. I have the system for the backrest but I opted not to go with the system that has the built in lock.

I've never had any issues with my bike being messed with but who would pay the extra to get the setup with the locks for my bags so they can't easily be removed by any would-be thief?

Old 03-09-2014, 06:30 PM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

If you're comfortable with the idea that no one is ever going to mess with your stuff then don't bother with it. Me? I'm not so trusting and would pay for the locks, both on the connections and the bags themselves.

Small price to pay for peace of mind.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:19 PM
ALUCARD19
Road Master

Wait until you have a set of bags stolen and have to come up with $1,000.00 to replace them then you can say crap I wish I had the locks otherwise if you are happy without them good for you your choice but for me it will always be locks.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:24 PM
zyonsdream
Tourer

I didn't drop a grand but ya, ya'll have a good point. Just because I haven't had any issues with the back rest going missing doesn't mean the same will happen with the bags. Guess I'll pick up a set of locking brackets.

The bags already have lid locks built into them. I'm going with the hard shell leather wrapped viking bags. I wanted color matched bags but I really don't want to pay for them. I thought the hard shell leather wrapped bags looked great and I've heard a lot of good things from the people I know that have them. I also heard some issues with seals but that's something I can correct if the issue arises.

http://www.vikingbags.com/harley-sof...FRGg4Aoda3MAgA

Old 03-09-2014, 09:32 PM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

I have 2 sets of bags from Viking, 1 large and 1 smaller. Bought the first set because of the price just to see if I'd like bags or not, with every intention of getting Boss Bags or Leatherpro if they worked out. Bought the second set because I was very impressed with the quality and workmanship of the bags. I've been using them for over a year and they still look new.

The only thing I don't like about them is all the keys I have to keep up with. I've got the quick disconnect mount and each bag has it's own key for the QD mount and each bag has it's on lid key. So that 4 keys to have to carry. And if you lose the keys you're screwed as far as getting replacements, they don't have them. You have to get a locksmith to make new keys. They do come with an extra set. I had several sets of extras made, just in case.

The key thing is really minor and worth the inconvenience for the price of the bags. I still highly recommend them.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:54 PM
zyonsdream
Tourer

I installed my Viking Hardshell leather bags today. I could not justify spending $150.00 for a quick disconnect system and then another $80 for the replacement locking clasps. So, I went to Ace hardware, picked up a few bolts, wing nuts and a piece of galvanized bar stock and made my own disconnect system.

Taking them off isn't as fast as harley's but the only time I need to remove them is when I plan to clean the bags. I was also able to shave the mounting hardware to keep the bags as close to the fender as possible I have minimal clearance between the left bag and the belt guard. With two up and the shock bottomed out, it just clears.

I think $26 is better than the alternative!