General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Harley owner: looking for tips!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 09:31 AM
Cc2122
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Harley owner: looking for tips!!

Hello all!!!

Last year I became the owner of an 06 night train. My hubby has always rode and I was the passenger. I've ridden crotch rockets in the past. Im having some serious difficulties in riding my bike!! I've never been the "scared" girl and always have taken life by the horns and kicked *** with everything else I've done, this harley thing is killing me though. I'm very nervous and feel like a complete dumbass as soon as I get on the bike. I'm over thinking and second guessing everything I do when it comes to riding it. Last year my first freeway trip a car came into my lane on the freeway and I went down pretty hard. That now adds to my issues. I try to stay calm and just be but it's so hard!!

Has this ever happened to any of you?? If so any suggestions on what to do??

My hubby says my bike is one of the hardest bikes he's ridden because of the front rake, you really have to keep constant pressure on the bars when turning or else it'll just dive.
I've changed the seat and bars to fit my body better, but it's still not feeling like "home", I'm sure you all get what I mean.

Please help!! This is a huge hit to my confidence.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:00 AM
woodman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 363 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome aboard. My wife put 10" mini apes on her Dyna seemed to help a lot.Get back on that puppy. The freeways are crazy in Washington especially with weed legal. I don't look at drivers any more I look at their wheels. Then I know where they are going. I have had people look right at me and still pull out in front of me.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:18 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK - basics. Have you done the MSF course? If not, you should.

The bike can have pretty much every single component swapped out for another, different one. It sounds like the bike doesn't quite fit you (but without pics...) Harleys are a very different animal compared to a sports bike, so (without doubting your abilities) you have a little bit of a learning curve ahead of you. A Night Train is a fair old chunk of steel to throw around (as are most Harleys) but you'll get the hang of it. Stay off the freeways until you're confident.

It sounds glib, but you must try to relax. The more nervous you are, the more physically tense you'll be and tension doesn't really go with motorcycles - you will end up making much heavier weather of controlling and manhandling the bike than it needs to be, which will lead to you getting very frustrated with it. Having been in an accident won't help either (it's bound to be on your mind) but hopefully you won't be in a similar situation again.

There's no magic bullet, or a special incantation you have to mutter - just keep practicing. The bike will tell you how it wants to behave. You'll be able to heave it around with no trouble before long - just don't expect it to behave like an R1 or a GSX or something. It can't and it won't.

And welcome to HDF! (Newbie tip - never, ever ask what kind of oil to put in it).

Old 03-10-2014, 11:43 AM
Crazy Biker
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I go on highways it's just for a short stint. Always assume that no one see you and that you are invisible, that means make yourself known out there, keep your distance and always be ready to brake or accelerate out of harms way. Keep safe and Enjoy the ride.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:54 AM
zyonsdream
Tourer

Every state offers a motorcycle safety course. Take it! There is an interesting article in the new American Iron magazine where one of the safety course trainers took the course and then took an advanced course. It's amazing what you can learn even if you've been riding for 30 years.

Harley offers a program where you can take your bike in and they will help you fit the bike so it's more comfortable for you and your riding skills. Not every dealership offers this but it might help.

If you are not secure in your skills, stay off crowded roads. Spend the spring riding on state routes and even local roads until you get comfortable. The more you ride, the easier it gets.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:09 PM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

Please don't take this that it applies to you! Some people are not meant to ride bikes and there is nothing wrong with that! It isn't personal it just is! You sound like you can ride just fine! You my not have the right bike for you! I see it all the time people get to big a bike and it takes the fun out of riding! Don't let others tell you what bike is best for you they 9 out of 10 times won't get it right! If you worry about parking when you get to the next stop the hole time you are riding to the next stop you are on the wrong bike! Yes the big bike is great on the hwy but it shouldn't be work to ride it around town!

Old 03-10-2014, 12:28 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,461 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Your story reminds me of one of my cousins.
She has ridden motorcycles for years and has never had one that has been set-up for her.
She is about the same height (short) as my wife and currently has a stock Heritage Softail Springer and my wife has a Heritage Softail Classic that has been lowered (front and rear) and the stock bars adjusted to her liking, and the bike is set-up as a "solo" machine with a tour pack that acts as a backrest.
The rake is also different between these two bikes and the Springer's are much more sensitive than the Heritage Classic's.
When my cousin sat on my wife's bike her first words were "this bike fits me"!
Not having your feet firmly on the ground, OR not having handlebars that properly fit you can make a huge difference and it's important to have a bike that fits you.

I'd suggest (in addition to the safety riding course) going to the dealership and sitting on as many different bikes as you can to see if any of them "fits" you.

Last edited by 2AMGuy; 03-10-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:37 PM
JOHNNYFLHR
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 610 Likes on 367 Posts

Get a different bike, you can't be thinking about riding if your thinking about something else.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:50 PM
bblatt98
Novice

+1 on the taking of the course i took it last year and didnt even know how to put it in first when i went. the courses r great! i brought my harley (01 softail deuce) before i even knew how to ride and first day i took it out boom dumped the clutch and right into a parked car. the bike was fine just a dented headlight but the car not so much $2800 in damage. but hey i was out on her later that day. i mean just have to stay off roads ur uncomfortable with if its a highway stay away from them till your ready. and you will know when you are. i still have a little trouble from time to time for starting from a complete stop and turning right away but im getting better and better. most important thing i learned is to relax. take the bike to an empty parking lot and just practice fundamentals

Old 03-10-2014, 03:58 PM
Wranglin4Life
Tourer

Im a relatively new rider, I grew up on dirt bikes and 4 wheelers but I bought my first motorcycle last year and quickly out grew in and I am not riding a dyna. I have ridden a few of the bigger bikes though and they can be a bit intimidating but if you don't want to ride scared. I ride aggressive defensive which means I assume at all times I am invisible and no one sees me. Especially on the free ways. Just gotta get back in the saddle and dont take it on the highway until your ready. Also taking the course they are suggesting is not a bad idea, thats what i took in order to get my license. Good luck and ride safe :-)

Quick Reply: New Harley owner: looking for tips!!