General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short USA Roadtrip Ideas

Old 03-18-2014, 07:49 PM
FXDForbes
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short USA Roadtrip Ideas

Hey Guys

I'm from Australia and next Summer I'm planning on doing a reasonably short bike trip. Basically fly to LA, ride to Las Vegas to Flagstaff to Phoenix with a couple stops on the way then fly Phoenix to LA and back to Sydney. Where would you recommend stopping at/eating at/staying at/looking at along the way.

Also what company would you recommend renting a bike from? I have looked at a couple but thought some guys on here might have first hand experience with some of them.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by FXDForbes; 03-18-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:59 PM
Recycled
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We covered much of the same route last year as well as the entire California coastal Highway 101, except I was driving a Nissan Altima as well as traveling by helicopter through 4 states, the length of the Grand Canyon and even got as close to Area 51 as possible without getting shot down (according to the pilot). That will be a great ride but it seems a shame not to veer north and hit the Sequoia National Forest the first day out of LA to see the largest trees on the planet. But I did hear that Australia has a few big trees as well. LA to Vegas will be kind of monotonous after getting out of the heavy traffic. We started out planning on a two week trip and made it home after flying out of San Francisco 26 days later. Las Vegas is a great starting point for any trip and you can fly home out of the city of your choice. I don't think bike rentals will be a problem in Vegas either. Whatever route you take you are sure to have a blast. I plan on getting back there in the future on a touring bike.

So many roads...so little time.

Last edited by Recycled; 03-19-2014 at 12:54 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:23 AM
steel cat 41
Advanced

How long are you planning to be on the bike

Old 03-19-2014, 06:06 AM
FXDForbes
Tourer

Originally Posted by steel cat 41
How long are you planning to be on the bike
Between a week and 10 days hopefully

Old 03-19-2014, 06:52 AM
KUB
Extreme HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 93 Posts

When you lv LA go up thru Ridgecrest, Ca over to Death Valley NP ride down to Badwater then back up and out to Pahrump, NV then over to Las Vegas, NV Take in Vegas head to Kingman, AZ on 93 you get to ride over the new bridge crossing the Colorado River. Once in Kingman you take bits and pieces of Rt 66 and I-40 over to Williams, AZ take AZ 64 North to Grand Canyon, NP you can either take 64 over to Cameron, AZ this route will take you thru the park. Stop and get a Indian taco for lunch in Cameron. Take AZ 89 down to Flagstaff, AZ. (If you don't want to go to Cameron take AZ 64 back to Valle, AZ take AZ 180 into Flagstaff, Az. From Flagstaff take AZ 322 to Sedona then AZ 179 back to I-17 into Phoenix.

Depending on time you could go to St. George UT on I-15 from Vegas and take in Zion NP and then pick up 89 and go thru Kanab,UT and take in the North Rim of the Grand Canyon then over to Page, Az and Lake Powell, Glenn Canyon NRA . You take AZ 89 into Flagstaff. Both of these options are nice rides and some very scenic country.

Have fun !

Last edited by KUB; 03-19-2014 at 07:02 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:25 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Think of some time on the roads to the West of Palm Springs and Palm Desert, the 74, the 79.
There's a great climb or decent to the West of Palm Desert.
The 395 going North will get you near some of the passes that cross the Sierra Nevada's and or Yosemite.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:23 AM
painey
Road Warrior
Received 205 Likes on 103 Posts

When leaving LA take the CA-2 64 miles of mountain road, then head north to LV, after that U gotta do Zion and Bryce and try and include US-98a down to Sedona, if u get near Holbrook stay in a wigwam for the night, great fun

Old 03-19-2014, 01:15 PM
Tunafisher
Cruiser

You may have to stay out of Death Valley depending on when you are here. I have rented out of Vegas, LA, San Fran and Reno a number of times and most bike rental companies don't want their Harleys in there between June 1 and probably Sept 1 due to high temperatures, check the contract carefully. Eagle Rider contracts out of Vegas specifically forbid taking a HD bike in there at these times. I went to Death Valley in the middle of May and saw temperatures of 110 F to 120 F (45 to 50 degrees C). We rode early in the morning and late afternoon to avoid the heat of the day. Otherwise, have a great trip. There are many excellent suggestions here.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:31 PM
steel cat 41
Advanced

If you are going to fly out of Phoenix -leave LV head north to Zion national park than to Kanab from there you can check out Bryce canyon after Kanab (ParryLodge) it would be worth while to see Monument Valley stay at Mexican Hat (San Juan inn) than down to the 4 corners than onto Flagstaff ( Grand Canyon) Prescott,Wickenburg Phoenix

Old 03-19-2014, 04:55 PM
michaelm
Tourer

You have lots of desert on your route. Be wary of the high temperatures during the day and cold nights.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Short USA Roadtrip Ideas